Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 55 gallon mixed malawi tank and i lost 3 fish 2 days ago and i have two in a quarantine tank right now doing really well! anyways the symptoms that i can see are that their lips are falling to pieces and just coming apart (not from fighting), also the end of the dorsal fin deteriorated away and dropped down from that spot on the find to the body above the anus, the tail is deteriorated as well, and they arent eating or showing much energy =(

*** been treating the quarantine tank and main tank with pimafix everyday for the past 4 days. everyone is looking healthy again but i just wanna know what it is, thanks!

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Sounds like a bacterial infection which often gets a hold of our fish via poor water conditions so you want to take steps to improve water quality first of all. (Weekly partial water changes with a good quality declorinator, siphon the gravel, check that the filters are running efficiently, make sure you're not over-stocked or overfeeding, etc)

If there is ongoing aggression in the tank then this can also be a place where infection takes hold especially if fins and tails are getting nipped.

If you've still got sick fish then try treating with a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn-two or Kanamycin. Keeping the temp below 80 during treatment may help prevent the spread of the bacteria. Also adding aquarium salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons and improving water movement will help.

Robin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts