Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the plecos being a problem personally. When I raised brichardi, I didn't have them in the tank and my breeders usually had spawns of 100 or more. Even if the plecos do get some of the eggs, you will soon have a large colony of fish. Enjoy watching the brichardi be excellent parents and the siblings helping in the rearing of subsequent broods.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
speakerman3 said:
I wouldn't even worry about the plecos being a problem personally. When I raised brichardi, I didn't have them in the tank and my breeders usually had spawns of 100 or more. Even if the plecos do get some of the eggs, you will soon have a large colony of fish. Enjoy watching the brichardi be excellent parents and the siblings helping in the rearing of subsequent broods.
Thanks for the advice ... I'll see how it goes and keep the Plecos for now. Also, I'm really enjoying the obvious rearing of the fry. It's really amazing and I'm looking forward to my colony developing !!!

All the best !!! :D :fish:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This a picture of one of my oldest fry (of 3) about 3 weeks old now. I also have about 13 that are about 1 1/2 weeks old ... and this morning, I just spotted 4 more new ones !!! So now I have a total of about 20 fry ... Woohoo !!! :dancing: :fish:

·
Registered
705 Posts
i think ur over concerned here. those brichardi will not tolerate anything near the spawn site. and u have quite the large tank. save a fish hiding the corner i wouldnt do anything. if u get multiple pairs and they grow up together it may work out. either way u got plenty of room for a good sized colony

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Now it's up to 6 NEW Fry from the 1st breeding pair. But the big news today is it looks like I have a second breeding pair !!! I just spotted 4, very small fry, on the far left of the tank in the left rock pile (where the Plecos hang out). There's still over halve of the right side of the tank for a 3rd breeding pair, if I'm so blessed. So now I have about 25 fry in total, plus the 7 adults ... yippee !!! We'll see what happens next. My biggest worry now is how to catch the adolescents, without ripping everything out of the tank, when my colony get's too big ... any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.