Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Fry ... only three of them, that I can see, but it's months before I was hoping/expecting to have any ... woohoo !!!

I hope they survive and this is the start of a whole lot more !!! I can't really tell which two are the breeding pair yet, but that will come over time. Like I've said before, I'm hoping to be able to have 2 breeding pairs in the tank ... we'll see. One thing I've found is they're very hard to get a good picture of, even with manual focus, I'll keep on trying.

·
Registered
213 Posts
congrats ! where's our cigars ? You should do well breeding them. You seem to have the secret ingredient present......water. Sorry for the sarcasm. My wife kept a pair in her 55 community tank and I think they would have kept spawning until there was nothing but fish and just enough water to survive had she not intervened. Might want to consider a grow out tank(s) if you have not already. Sorry Tim did not see that you have them in a 125 species tank.
Good luck with them and grats again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congratualtions. Its great to see somone else with pulchers. I thought I was the only one here. I, too am raising my first batch. Now that the ice is broken, be prepared to see a cloud of really tiny ones preety soon. I have about a half dozen that are 1/2 to 3/4 inch and a cloud of pinheads. I've not gotten any pics yet, either. Maybe this week.

Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slipperyRock said:
congrats ! where's our cigars ? You should do well breeding them. You seem to have the secret ingredient present......water. Sorry for the sarcasm. My wife kept a pair in her 55 community tank and I think they would have kept spawning until there was nothing but fish and just enough water to survive had she not intervened. Might want to consider a grow out tank(s) if you have not already. Sorry Tim did not see that you have them in a 125 species tank.
Good luck with them and grats again.
Thanks ... I've heard there relatively easy to breed, as long as you have hard water, which I do .... and I do regular 20% water changes twice a week. I'm really concerned on how to take out/catch the older fish, when it comes time though. I have a make-shift trap I (out of a 2 liter bottle), which worked well to catch one fish that was sulking in the corner, but I'm not sure if it will work in the future for other fish. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated ... although I think I have a few month before I need to really worry about it.

All the best !!! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been searching the internet, but haven't been able to figure out how fast they grow. Does anyone know what their growth rate is? BTW ... all 3 are still alive and seem to be doing well, yippee !!!

Thanks and all the best !!! :)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've been searching the internet, but haven't been able to figure out how fast they grow. Does anyone know what their growth rate is?
Depends on a lot of things, but they grow fairly quickly, IME. Congrats on the fry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks ... so far, in the last few days it seems they've gotten about 50% bigger. BTW, I'm feeding them crushed flakes and Daphnia Magna (some of which are small enough for them to eat ... I think). They're still alive, so I hope I'm doing something right.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I looked this morning and there were about 7 more Fry ... yippee!!! I tried getting a picture of them but couldn't get the camera focused right, even in manual mode, oh well. They're about 1/16th long compared to the other fry which are now about 3/8" long. Such fun.

I assume they're from the same brood, but just hatched later, I don't know? Either way I'm really excited. Hopefully I'll have a tank full of them soon !!!

All the best to everyone !!! :D :fish:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's an update from today, which also shows my two Plecos. Also, it looks like I might have up to 13 small fry along with the 3 older ones. They're kind of hard to count. This video update is kind of fun !!! It sure shows the **** better, that's for sure.

Have a blessed day !!! :fish:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations on your starting colony. If you pull your two plecos out of the tank, I'll bet you would really have a cloud of fry swimming around in another month. Just be sure that you have some place that will take your extras. Brichardi are fun and beautiful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I originally put the Plecos in the tank to help control the algae, but it turns out the Nerite snails I got are awesome at controlling the algae. Luckily my LFS will buy back my Plecos and any extra Brichardi I and up with. The hardest part I have is how to trap/catch them !!! I had some luck with one of the Brichardi that was hanging out in an upper corner (with a trap I made using a 2 liter bottle) ...

But I don't think that will work for the regular Brichardi and the Plecos. Any advice/tricks on catching them would be greatly appreciated !!! I really don't want to take everything out of the aquarium to catch them.

All the best !!! :fish:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Catching your plecos without tearing the tank apart could be tough. You might try putting a clean leaf of spinach into one of your traps and see if the plecos go after it. Bloodworms are another thing that they find hard to resist if the spinach doesn't work.

Good luck. The tank looks awesome!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
speakerman3 said:
Catching your Plecos without tearing the tank apart could be tough. You might try putting a clean leaf of spinach into one of your traps and see if the Plecos go after it. Bloodworms are another thing that they find hard to resist if the spinach doesn't work.

Good luck. The tank looks awesome!
Thanks for the advice !!! So far the Plecos are co-existing quite peaceably, although that will likely change as I get more Bricardi Fry.

All the beat !!! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts