Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Ilmenite (black mineral sand) in my tank and I have fish dieing every few

days/week. I have researched Ilmenite and can not find any info saying it is toxic. Does

anyone have any knowledge about Ilmenite that could help me. I have a 6ft fresh water

tropical tank, I only use rain water when doing a water change (I live in a rural area it is the

same water I drink and it is of the highest quality). All the tests I do on my fish tank water

come up with excellent results, everything is well within its recommended limits. I am at a loss

as to why my fish die. Does anyone have any ideas that can help me.

rsrsmith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
have you cycled the tank?? my first suspicion would be that its due to ammonia/nitrite poisoning. rather than say the results are within acceptable limits please post the results

having googled Ilmenite, I cant see that it would be toxic, though I would be tempted to remove it and use silica sand instead, which is perfectly safe for use with fish.

you also mention that you are using rain water, it is possible that pollutants have gotten in, and that you as a much bigger organism are unaffected by them, whereas a fish with a much lower biomass is far more susceptible to them.

another thing not mentioned are the species that you are keeping, if you are using mineral free water, and then adding fish that have come from mineral rich water the osmotic shock could also kill them, however given they seem to last a few days I wouldn't really suspect that this is the cause.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top