Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Snow White albino mbuna cichlid bred with a peacock female in my tank - it was unplanned.

My question is this: 6 weeks later, there are 2 offspring left that live under fierce protection from their « dad ». This fish spends all his time protecting his spawn. The mom couldn’t care less, she has moved on with another fish lol. Is this type of protection from the male common?

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
No. I would suspect he is stalking them as opposed to protecting them. You will want to remove them from your tank so that as they mature, they don't get mixed up with the pure fish in case you ever might want to sell or give away the pure fish.

You might also want to reconsider a stocking plan with a female peacock and any socolofi (for eventual aggression) and a male socolofi (for a reoccurance of the hybrid fry scenario). The fish live on average 8 years and you will end up running out of room in your hybrid tank because those you cannot sell or give away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. I definitely agree that I need to take precautions so that this does not reoccur (I know hybrids are not the goal here, at all). I have rehomed the female.

I will also remove the hybrid tank for the surviving hybrids to live and not breed further. I hadn’t really thought of that - thank you. I suppose logic would dictate I should do that ASAP?

and finally, regarding the protection/ stalking… I would really appreciate your insight into this situation as I realize it’s completely abnormal. Initially I thought the same thing as you - but the offspring are now 2 inches long (there ended up being 3, total). He stats very close to them, which like you said I assumed was because he was going to eat them. But after 3 months it’s truly remarkable, he has created essentially a force field around the juveniles. He is literally constantly able to eat them, but instead chases away everyone else. I understand your hesitancy to believe me anecdotally, but I’ve truly never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. I definitely agree that I need to take precautions so that this does not reoccur (I know hybrids are not the goal here, at all). I have rehomed the female.

I will also remove the hybrids and make a tank for the surviving hybrids to live and not breed further. I hadn’t really thought of that - thank you. I suppose logic would dictate I should do that ASAP?

and finally, regarding the protection/ stalking… I would really appreciate your insight into this situation as I realize it’s completely abnormal. Initially I thought the same thing as you - but the offspring are now 2 inches long (there ended up being 3, total). He stats very close to them, which like you said I assumed was because he was going to eat them. But after 3 months it’s truly remarkable, he has created essentially a force field around the juveniles. He is literally constantly able to eat them, but instead chases away everyone else. I understand your hesitancy to believe me anecdotally, but I’ve truly never seen anything like it.

·
Super Moderator
40,718 Posts
I believe you, I just think his motivation is different. If they are two inches they are old enough to spawn...perhaps he sees them as potential partners. The scientists tell us the female's parental protectiveness lasts only when the fry are in her mouth, and the male deposits sperm and that's it.

Perhaps your fish is the first to evolve.:)

In the hybrid tank you will also need to prevent fry else it will become overpopulated, so add a group of 5 Synodontis Multipunctatus and make all the rocks large to minimize crevices for fry to hide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts