Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mainganos and Rusties don't do that well with each other. I like to overstock my tanks, so I think you're doing just fine here provided you have at least 120 gph of filtration, which would be my personal preference. I would add another species... probably Red Zebra but I think it's good. Bigger tank is always better unless you don't have enough room. Mainganos though just tend to be brutal provided they're not settled in so do not add more of the same. Let's see... some more peaceful fish would include the following, and these are what I would throw in there myself:

Acei, Red Zebra, Labidochromis, other less aggressive Zebra Cichlids (Red Top mostly is my favorite), And perhaps Labeotropheus trewavasae or Labeotropheus fuelleborni. Most of these species should be generally peaceful.

You could just leave the Mainganos in there and say you added the most aggressive fish in last, or you could add some of the above species or try anything you like provided those fish don't have an aggressive reputation. I wouldn't get more than two species of Red Top, but I just gave you some species list as suggestions. I go by the rule that if it works, it works and the personalities of each fish = a happy tank but just remove anybody who gets too aggressive. If this combo works for you, then go ahead and leave all those fish in there!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts