Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i hate waiting this long to put my cichs in so can i get like 2 long finned tetras to speed up the process?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I feel it wont speed up the process of cycling. With the water changes you will need to do in order to keep the toxins down to a suitable level for the fish will prob slow the process down. I hear ya when you say it sucks to stare at an empty tank, but try and think of some diy stuff you could do while your waiting to kill time.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
jeremypb said:
ok i hate waiting this long to put my cichs in so can i get like 2 long finned tetras to speed up the process?
I'm assuming you're fishless cycling? Adding fish doesn't make the bacteria multiply any faster. It's a common myth that cycling with fish is faster than without. You get fish in the tank faster, but that's all. Doesn't mean the tank is cycled or safe for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats good to know all my parameters are all good im using the API testing kit! so i figure if it stays stable another 2 weeks i should be good to add my cichs!

·
Registered
211 Posts
im not sure what fishless cycle is but *** never done it. what size tank do you have? you just add a couple of fish to the tank and dont touch the tank for about a month than after that you can start adding more.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
jeremypb

Dose your tank with ammonia and if in 24hours it reads 0 on nitrites and ammonia you should be good to go. That is sure fire way to find out when it is finally cycled and safe for fish.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Stick with the fishless cycle. It's worth it in the end. I've done it 2x times and would never do it any other way. During this time you can do research on the fish you want to keep, shop around for the best price, and do some diy work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh i have been iv got the fish downt that i want and everything is good to go now i just gotta find a place in houston that sells rusty's

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
adam0444

Your causing permanent damage to your fish by exposing them to un-needed toxins when you can artificially introduce the ammonia to feed your bacteria and get it all set to add your fish to a safe tank.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

On the bottom of this page enter the appropriate numbers into the field boxes, and change the units to gallons and it will tell you how much to dose your tank with.

·
Registered
421 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
adam0444

Your causing permanent damage to your fish by exposing them to un-needed toxins when you can artificially introduce the ammonia to feed your bacteria and get it all set to add your fish to a safe tank.

On the bottom of this page enter the appropriate numbers into the field boxes, and change the units to gallons and it will tell you how much to dose your tank with.
+1 :fish:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nope everything is good in my tank im thinking about doing a 25% WC saturday and if everything is still legit then getting my cichs in there asap!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
jeremypb

Awesome! Be sure to get some pics of whatever you get in there up for us to check out.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you have a local fish shop ,most are able to order in whatever you want. Doing it that way might save a big trip to Houston and works well most of the time. The shop gets the fish in their normal shipping and you avoid the big bill for the shipping. In doing this , the shop takes the risk and you see the fish before you take them. Just in case they show up dead--- you are saved. Just a thought. Most shops are willing to work with you if they feel you are an honest buyer. Just don't expest them to order in 6 different types of fish that you might buy one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
adam0444

well I am not currently doing one in about a week i WAS going to but how do you do this fishless cycle? just add ammonia and than what how long do you wait? what else do you do?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
adam0444

Here is the article in the library on exactly how to do this. The search feature is also an invaluable tool on this site, since most stuff has been covered so you can see how the other people have done it without having to wait for a response.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... ycling.php

·
Registered
211 Posts
this is extremly confusing..

2nd method. This one is used by probably 99% of hobbyists. Addition of X amount of NH3 drops until Ammonia level of 5ppm is achieved. This X amount of drops has to be added daily until NO2 spike. Afterwards follow up with � X (from previous step) amount of NH3 drops daily until NO2 is 0ppm causing NO3 peak. ~50% water change should follow -> cycled tank. (this recipe uses regular Pure Ammonia 4-15%)

do i plug the numbers into that calculator thing and use what it says each day until the NO2 goes up? and than keep adding that same amount until NO2 goes back down to 0? how long does this usually take? a week? what do you want the NO3 to be at? :fish:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.