Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let me say I am in no way trying to deture anyone from building a sump filter. Just in my opinion they are not worth the trouble. I built my sump last summer for my 125 and I don't have any pics of it anymore but I was awful proud of it. However I had to ad water every two days no matter what I did, at least 5 gal a week. when I was gone it would just dry up and make noise. I recently switched to two 55 gal hanging filter and its just as clear and cheaper than buying 50 foam dish scrubbers. It was an awful experiance I just wanted to rant on that subject for a moment. Does anyone else have any issues with these darn things?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Love my sump never going back. Sounds like the water level in your pump chamber wasn't deep enough. I have mine set so that it will make it 7 days before water level drops to the top of the pre-filter sponge of my pump. This forces me to keep up with my water changes every Sunday.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I've built my own sumps using rubbermaid tubs, acrylic tanks, glass tanks... never had a problem with them emptying like that...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I get a LOT of evaporation out here in southern California..even though I am on the coast its still stays relatively dry. With my open canopy design and my DIY sump (23 gallon but roughly 15 gallons at any one time) I lose about 5-7 gallons a week. The way mine is designed I get about a week and a half-two weeks until my pump starts to come in danger of running dry.

It's all about planning ahead...I totally understand what you are saying, evaporation in any sump can be horrible..but sump design can mitigate a lot of it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would have worked had I drilled the outlet into the tank as aposed to using a siphon system, but I was to scared. Oh boy now I'm starting to think I should put it back together.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Gzeesh. I go weeks and weeks without putting water in my sump. Do you have a glass canopy over yours? Mine is preety tight, so I guess that eliminates most evaporation.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I once saw a great little DIY autofiller... it was nothing but a suspended bottle of new water (air tight) with a hose running into the sump. If the water level ever allowed air to get sucked up the hose, then some water flowed out of the suspended jug and into the sump. I've been meaning to try such a trick...
perhaps one of you sump haters could look into it? :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
you should rename the title to "i hate my homemade sump".

if your first design was failure, your next one should be better.
sumps are a very good filter if done correctly.
the return chamber is probably way to small to handle evaporation.
so the next one you make should have a bigger return chamber if you ever
decide to tackle it again.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Something to consider when designing a sump...

Create the pump chamber volume as large as possible such that if the drains were ever to fail the pump cavitates before overflowing the DT. This will keep evap top off down to the minimum for your system design.

When you fail to plan you are planning to fail :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts