Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my dems and labs, they are floating now (with lights off). Here's a pic

Labs (10):

Dems (15):

I tested the BAG water and the PH was 7.6, ammonia 0 and nitrates 80!! :eek:

I tested my water and PH is 8, ammonia 0, and nitrates 15

To make a long story short, it was suggested that I assume my tank is no longer cycled (been running for 10 yrs, but going on 3 weeks with no fish in it)

I picked up some Sachem Prime and was wondering if I should add this to my tank before putting in my fish?

I was also wondering if I should acclimate them not only to the PH, but because there is such a huge difference in the nitrates, should I wait until the bags nitrates are the same as my tanks?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
No, you don't want to wait... If the temperature is the same, I'd dump the fish in the tank.

You could put the prime in the tank.

Just watch the tank for signs that it might be cycling.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Congrats looks like nice quality fish there!

As for the acclimation, I would put them in a bucket and run an air line siphon in the bucket kinda pinched a little to slow the flow, to kinda ease them into it if you really wanted too. I never do this or even test the bag water for that matter and never had a problem.

I DON'T know if this is proper way to acclimate or not, but is prob what I would do FWIW.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience on this, I hav

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ohh Glad Fogel hopped in as like I said I didnt know. Good luck and nice looking fish again! :wink:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fogelhund said:
No, you don't want to wait... If the temperature is the same, I'd dump the fish in the tank.

You could put the prime in the tank.

Just watch the tank for signs that it might be cycling.
O kay, I wasn't sure, thanks. I don't usually add anything to the tank I can't test for, so I'm not sure I will add the Prime.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Congrats looks like nice quality fish there!

As for the acclimation, I would put them in a bucket and run an air line siphon in the bucket kinda pinched a little to slow the flow, to kinda ease them into it if you really wanted too. I never do this or even test the bag water for that matter and never had a problem.

I DON'T know if this is proper way to acclimate or not, but is prob what I would do FWIW.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience on this, I hav
Thanks, I 'm not sure I'm doing it exactly right either. I'm doing it the same way I do my salt water fish. I add a little of my tank water to the bag water every 10 min until the levels are the same (temp, Ph stuff like that)

·
Registered
509 Posts
When I ordered fish I asked the reputable dealer I bought from and he said float until temp is matched then net them into the tank. My fish were in the bag for 24 hours too.

Great looking fish! Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you ordered online and had them shipped, you should net the fish into your tank and not add the bag water as it can contain drugs which can damage or kill your bio filtration.
Looking forward to some full tank shots Zoie, congrats on the new fish :thumb:

·
Registered
279 Posts
What size tank are you putting all those fish into.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the arrivals zoie, they look like cracking fish :)

Once again a thread that shows there is no right or wrong, only what works.

Theres one thing I do feel strongly about though. I never put "foreign" water in my tanks. Even when I get home at 1 or 2 am from a fish auction I still won't put the bag water in the tank. In fact, I quarantine all new arrivals in water from the destination tank in a smaller tank.

I know then the parameters are the same and I keep all the empty tanks cycled so all I have to do is add a heater before they are coming and get the temp matched to the destination tank. Then I just float them till the bag temp matches the quarantine tank temp and give them a bath before they go into their new home.

Some will say overkill but I assure you all it's a case of once bitten, twice shy :lol:

When I was a rank newbie I introduced a raging ich infestation into a tank when I simply dumped all the bag water into my tank. Weren't cichlids, but just the same I'm now very cautious. Probably explains soaking my rocks too :lol: [/u]

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
GTZ said:
If you ordered online and had them shipped, you should net the fish into your tank and not add the bag water as it can contain drugs which can damage or kill your bio filtration.
Looking forward to some full tank shots Zoie, congrats on the new fish :thumb:
Good point. I guess I'm always thinking from a trusted LFS.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone!

I NEVER put bag water in my tank. Especially when the nitrates were like 80!!

I kept the lights off all till about 11 this morning. I gave them a little food, not too much, I was told to feed sparingly. Everyone seems happy. Some of the labs have settled into the cichlid stone caves.

The dems are always out and center, The labs hide when I walk by, I figure it will take a bit for them. I love watching them. They move so fast it's hard to get a good picture.

They are in a 33 gal long. I won't be keeping all of them. :roll: I will keep on male and four females from the labs and I can't figure out the dems quite yet. Some people have told me to keep at least 15, but that's all I have and I'm not sure they realized my tank is only a 33 long. I know the male/female ratio is more with them, so I might keep 1 male and 7 females. But I figure I will see how it all goes. :-?

Here are some pictures until I set up my tank page.

It's hard to take a full tank shot cause the tank is 4' long

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looking good. :thumb:

I agree with not putting bag water in your tank, but of course you cannot avoid it entirely since the fish are wet!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pack-rat said:
Looking good. :thumb:

I agree with not putting bag water in your tank, but of course you cannot avoid it entirely since the fish are wet!
Thanks.

I pat mine down with a towel before I put them back.. :wink: :wink: JUST KIDDING

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I put the fish in on Sat, how long should I wait to do a water change. I usually did them on Monday, but I don't want to stress them out.

Should I wait a whole week or just a couple more days?

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Unless your nitrates are high, I'd wait until a week from Monday.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DJRansome said:
Unless your nitrates are high, I'd wait until a week from Monday.
My nitrates are about 10 maybe a little lower, so I will wait till next Mon. Thanks. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts