Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my baby Oscar today. A Red oscar. My tank is finally stocked.

90 gallon

1 Juvie red Oscar
4 Juvie Silver dollars

The SD are the coolest..I love the way they all stand still together, it looks very cool. The Silvers are eating very hardy but little red is being shy. Tried to feed her/him a pellet and the Silver just swam up an took it. That won't last long.

I'll try and get some pics up as soon as I can

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! The SD keep eating his pellets...even though their herbavores it wont hurt them if they eat some Hikari Bio Gold Oscar pellets will it?

The suckers are fast and he is so slow in swimming to the top of the tank.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Don't worry about the SD's they will be fine with the pellets. Although primarily Herbavores they are quite capable of consuming and digesting pellets, and from recent observation some home grown feeder guppies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool...I have Omega One Veggie Pellet for them as well as frozen cubes of shrimp and Brine kelp and all sorts of goodies for them. I used one of the cubes last night in feeding them and both SD and the Oscar loved it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you. I noticed one of the silver dollars being very aggressive towards another one. Harrassing him and what looked like nipping at his side and fin. Do they have an Alpha fish in their schooling? I have never read about silvers being aggressive with one another. but I guess they can easily pick on someone just as any other fish.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Silver dollars sometimes swim side by each other and hit their head against each other. I think it's mating behavior. Sometimes their scales get scratched up and it looks black. They recover really quick though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts