Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAnt figure out how to upload pics on here .... but as soon as i do ill put some up...

i got a fish that looks like a solid peach and another that a solid bright yellow with a black fin along his back and the last one is more blue with black patchs?

can some also help with the pics how do i do this [/url]

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Upload your pics to photobucket then just copy and paste the img code for the pic you want into your message.

·
Registered
554 Posts
first one (peachy one) is probably metriaclima estherae - red zebra
Second one (yellow and black) is probably labidochromis caeruleus - yellow lab
Last one (black and blue) can be one of rather many, pic is essential, but my vote is Pseudotropheus demasoni - Demasoni

Petsmart, the mixed mbuna tank? If so, then it is unlikely that any of these fish are pure.

Put up pics, that will confirm my stabs in the dark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

can some help me know ?..... seems like the peachy one like to chase everyone around the tank? does that mean there not ment to share the same tank?

seems like there picky eaters too any help there ?

G

·
peach one is an albino red top zebra they are kinda lil jerks until a bigger more dominant fish goes in the tank... the yellow is a yellow lab like nina said.. no idea what the other fish is def not demasoni.. looks like some kind of hap thou

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what if i went back to get another three, would they live together if there about the same size ?

G

·
yea they are all african cichlids they'll do fine together... you're always gonna have one thats dominant and chases the others around... thats normal

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Mbuna males generally require 1 foot by 1 foot territories...get the tank, then the fish. Not good news I know, but the fish will suffer otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so me being new to the hobby(previous and still my hobby r/c, nitro/electric planes) what would an undersized tank do to my fish and would they show it, like symptoms i guess? and yes i got my hands on a 30 gallon tank just letting it cycle and stuff for now so tomorrow they should find themselfves in a new home. that should be anothe room for em? just three cichlids( each cichlid is about 1.25 inch the most) and a pleco.

for those who have been helping me THANK YOU. Im sorry if anyone got mad at me for my ignorance but being new to the hobby i didint know i didint fully research my fish.... my apologizes

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
JohnnyP said:
so me being new to the hobby(previous and still my hobby r/c, nitro/electric planes) what would an undersized tank do to my fish and would they show it, like symptoms i guess? and yes i got my hands on a 30 gallon tank just letting it cycle and stuff for now so tomorrow they should find themselfves in a new home. that should be anothe room for em? just three cichlids( each cichlid is about 1.25 inch the most) and a pleco.

for those who have been helping me THANK YOU. Im sorry if anyone got mad at me for my ignorance but being new to the hobby i didint know i didint fully research my fish.... my apologizes
The problem is the aggression levels of these fish. The albino zebra in all probability will be the dominant fish. With three fish, he'll likely kill the others.

A Labidochromis is ok in a 30 gallon tank. I would recommend keeping one male and three female Labs. If it is a common pleco, it will get too big for a 30 gallon as well. A bristlenose pleco on the other had would work fine.

If you want an attractive tank from there, I would add in 4-5 Tiger Barbs, and 3 Melanotaenia lacustris. 30% water changes once a week.

·
Registered
554 Posts
"tomorrow" might not be soon enough for a cycle to take hold.

Might I ask how you are cycling?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i got the tank set up with the substrate in it and the pump and filter going .... i was thinking about adding two little guppies tomorrow to help in aiding( good bacteria) this but i think thats a myth. but yeah thats what am doing ? also added de-chlor and watching ph level

·
Registered
623 Posts
JohnnyP said:
i got the tank set up with the substrate in it and the pump and filter going .... i was thinking about adding two little guppies tomorrow to help in aiding( good bacteria) this but i think thats a myth. but yeah thats what am doing ? also added de-chlor and watching ph level
What is it you think is a myth? Good bacteria very much so exists. And on young fish especially an uncycled tank can kill your fish. Adults are a bit more tough, but i wouldnt recommend not cycling a tank or using established filter media. Unless you meant guppies helping the cycle, its not a myth however not as effective as simply adding established filter media or bacteria in a bottle.

G

·
bacteria in a bottle still takes 2 weeks to cycle a tank... immediately cycle a tank by using a filter that was on an already established tank or using sponge filters that were in a diff tank... i do the sponge method and they cycle immediately

·
Registered
554 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.