Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I posted this in 'South American' but I'm a bit of a newb so I think that was the wrong place, sorry for the double up.
Anyhoo, I have recently purchased a 'pair' of fish that were being sold as Apistogramma Viejita 'Red Neck'. Do you agree? Or are they Macmasteri?
They are supposed to be a pair but I'm wondering if the 'female' is a subdominant male...any thoughts would be appreciated.
Male
IMG_20200207_231955 by Mark Raeburn, on Flickr
Female?
IMG_20200208_232208 by Mark Raeburn, on Flickr

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would say that you do have two males. As for correct species, I'm not certain as the two are very close, but with a name like "Red Neck" I suspect that they are macmasteri rather than viejita. You might try posting at Apistogramma.com forum, I'm sure Mke Wise can give a better answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I have tried to register with Apistogramma.com but it's not letting me...I'm not receiving confirmation emails for some reason.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I showed the pics to the LFS and they agreed that I have 2 males. We also agreed that I could swap them for a pair of Cacatuoides 'Orange', they're acclimatising as I type this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWIW if you still care, these are both male macmasteri. A. viejita is rather rare, and there are some breeders in the States but most fish stores will only have macmasteri.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dfarci said:
FWIW if you still care, these are both male macmasteri. A. viejita is rather rare, and there are some breeders in the States but most fish stores will only have macmasteri.
Thanks for your post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.