Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20180403_184748.jpg
My Ivory headed maloto has stopped eating. He now has white stringy poop. I started Metro treatments yesterday on my whole tank. I also have clout coming in the mail and I can move him to my 20 gallon Hospital tank. I also soaked some food in the Metro and all the other fish gobbled it up. I also have some of the in NLS hex food coming. All my water parameters test great. I also raised the tink temperature to 80 over the last 2 days. I just don't want more fish to get it. I also removed all of my filtration and left both of my pumps running

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would lower the temp and just do the Metronidazole. Do not mix medications.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screenshot_20180403-193942.png
20180403_193959.jpg
I thought the metro and the clout both had the same ingredient. The cloud also has additional ingredients as well. I was going to treat the one fish with the clout in the hospital tank as outlined at the top of this page. I am treating the entire 125 gallon tank with the Metro and the food so I don't get the trickle-down effect that I have read about with the bloat. From one fish to another. The fish food from NLS already has the metro in it, correct. What temperature would you recommend. I read on some of the bloat pages that the higher water temperature would help. It speeds metabolism and should help get the medicine through faster.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
You need to choose someone to trust because you are not going to find the same answer everywhere.

Clout is harsh but not more effective and stains your silicone blue. It is illegal in certain countries.

I have had GREAT success treating with Metronidazole...not just the food with Metro. If you want to treat the one really sick fish separately, I would still use Metronidazole.

Usual temp...78 degrees.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What procedure would you recommend. Just want to save the fish.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'm trying your way. Keep fingers crossed!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think this is bloat or the one in the link was bloat, if Metronidazole works then it has to be a parasite, which is also indicated by the poop. You shouldn't be getting bloat much anyway except in wild caught fish.

As for clout it has organophosphate pesticide in it which is intended to do the same thing as metro. If you are using it a lot like some farmers then you could get cancer, but it is probably not an issue for home use so long as you don't touch it directly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
Thank you DJ. I treated the fish all week long and had to leave to go out of town on Friday. I came back home Sunday night and turn the lights on on a tank and fed the fish and he was eating great and swimming around like crazy. Again thank you for your advice and it worked great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.