Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have one peacock that has been doing something that i have never seen before. When he feeds, he takes the food from the top, dives down to the substrate and seems to struggle to get his mouthful down. He does this for a few seconds, before he finally gets it down and swims back up to get some more. When he is down "struggling to swallow" he sort of does a 45 degree headstand while releasing a couple of air bubbles from his mouth or gills. Other than this he behaves quite normally and is eager to feed. He is the only fish in the tank doing this. A few months ago i had a bloat outbreak...they all survived and are doing well except for this peacock. Maybe his insides were permanently damaged by the bloat?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,422 Posts
He's just gulping air. You can put the pellets into a cup of water and pour them into the tank to avoid this if you want to
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Number6 said:
He's just gulping air. You can put the pellets into a cup of water and pour them into the tank to avoid this if you want to
i feed flakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,581 Posts
Same thing- try putting the flakes in a cup of water and pouring it in. It could just be your fish is fighting the bubbles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
triscuit said:
Same thing- try putting the flakes in a cup of water and pouring it in. It could just be your fish is fighting the bubbles.
interesting....i have been keeping africans for such a long time and have never seen anything like this. he is the only one in the tank doing this. and it started after i cleared the tank of bloat. my gut tells me that is is disease related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,581 Posts
It very well could be- but you haven't listed a single symptom that would cause me to suggest treatment. He's eating- and although you don't specify, I assume that he looks good and acts normally when not eating.

Since it seems that he's struggling to get rid of air bubbles, just get rid of the air bubbles and then get back to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
triscuit said:
It very well could be- but you haven't listed a single symptom that would cause me to suggest treatment. He's eating- and although you don't specify, I assume that he looks good and acts normally when not eating.

Since it seems that he's struggling to get rid of air bubbles, just get rid of the air bubbles and then get back to us.
the only observation that i have made is that he has been looking paler that normal. he eats eagerly and swims normally. i keep my water level high and i do not have any air stones.
thanks...we need to figure this out!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top