Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, maybe not technically new, because I have owned Kribs, Jewels, and an Arautus once. But I am planning on dedicating my 29 gallon to some Africans. I will get some brand name crushed coral for the substrate, and raise the hardness.

So now, I have no clue where to start. I have a few Cichlids commonly availible: Bumblebee Cichlids, Peacock Cichlids, Arautus, Yellow Labs, and these really expensive ones called Blue Ahlis. I am not upgrading, so a 29 would be their permanent home. No shelldwellers please!

I have no clue where to start though
:dancing:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Too bad about the ban on shellies, since it is a small tank. :thumb:

I would not put any of the Africans you mentioned in a 30" tank.

I'd look at a colony of Tanganyikan brichardi. Or a pair of altolamprologus calvus or a pair of julidochromis marlieri gombe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, I need stocking help! I like larger cichlids, so maybe suggest a few Africans that could be alone? Or with few members? And I do not know scientific names, and can't look them up since I am on my phone :/ but what about Yellow Labs? And Auratus?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
there is nothing from lake malawi I would suggest for a 30" tank, and no cichlid should really be kept alone

your best bet is to check out that link prov provided, and find something in there for your tank size that you may like.

quite honestly, i'd suggest brichardi or julidochromis
or go new world and get some bolivian rams and neon tetra

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Altolamprologus calvus are larger fish...about the largest I would put in a 30" tank.

·
Registered
220 Posts
DJRansome said:
Too bad about the ban on shellies, since it is a small tank. :thumb:

I would not put any of the Africans you mentioned in a 30" tank.

I'd look at a colony of Tanganyikan brichardi. Or a pair of altolamprologus calvus or a pair of julidochromis marlieri gombe.
See my post under Tanganyikans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts