Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving in about two months and I need some information about moving my tank.

Anyone one who has done this please share how and what materials they used!

Also, I am moving to a place with a water softener and will need to keep the PH up in my tank.
How can I do that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,465 Posts
most use crushed corral in a filter.i used crushed limestone.
as far as moving my tanks i just made a special tank only trip, usually the first thing taken down and the first thing put up.that way there is nothing in the way in the new house to trip on.plus i move as much water from the tank as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
I did it the opposite way, last thing i moved.

There is a part in the library section thats gives you a good run down of how to go about it. HERE IT IS
http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/moving_tanks.php

Basicly you bag the fish up in fresh declorinated water (not from the tank but roughly the same temp.

Place the fish in a large container like a Cooler or something.

Empty the tank entirely of all water, substrate....Everything.

Take the tank to were it needs to be and position tank were you want it (which is why its good to do it last, because once its full your not going to want to move again because you under estimated the size of your furniture).

Add your substrate and rocks etc.. and fill it with clean fresh water (100% fresh), try to get the temp correct. (Try not to change the heating temp that your heater was already set to....helpful hint) another helpful hint is put a face down dish on your substrate and poor your water onto this to stop it from getting stirred up

If you need to buffer your water to help with parameters there is a rift lake buffer recipe which is very helpful......HERE IT IS
http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Empty the fish only not the bag water into the tank.

Keep a very close eye on your temp and parameters for a few weeks

Oh and another thing, it's important that you don't let your filters dry out to much. you don't want all that good bacteria dying so keep all filter medie in a bucket of your tank water....VERY IMPORTANT.

The best thing to do is look at the links that i have added to this post and follow the steps. It's really spot on. I followed it without any deaths so i was wrapped

Good luck buddy :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you so much for the information and the links.
I feel a lot less stress about moving the tank now.

Although, I am still concerned about the water hardness.
The buffer recipe.... do you add fresh (non-hard) water to the tank and then apply the recipe or is it needed to apply the recipe before the water is added to the tank?
The later being a bit more difficult to do.

I think this would be a great time to switch out all the substrate and I have seen substrate specifically made for chilcids. Anyone have any experience with that? What other substrate could I use to ensure a higher ph? I believe crushed coral will do this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
In regards to the water quality. Fill your tank 90% (declrorinated) and with the other 10% percent add the buffer (disolved). I don't no the size of your tank so i can't tell you how much to add

No would be a perfect time to change all them little things about your tank that you wish you had of done differently :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally moved. Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and the articles on this site.

Really helped me out a ton! No casualties and the tank looks better than ever!

Thank you!! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Moving sucks!

I moved like twice with my tank..one across 2 states - 8 hours drive (included traffic, darn DC), and 2nd time when we bought a house, move across town...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
good to hear it all went well mate :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
hey I've been playing around with my water so i got it done pretty good now. if you want my recipe let me know in a pm. sounds like you already moved so you probably got it down.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top