Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am gathering the nesacery supplies to setup a 55 gallon Lab/Dem tank, however it looks like it may take another couple months until it is set up. In the meantime I have ETS (empty tank syndrome.) I want to set up my 30 gal bowfront (tall) as a community tank.

I know I want to have neon tetras, probably about a dozen and a half dozen albino corys. I have also thought about putting a pair of angels in this setup.

The tank will have play sand and a penguin 280 filter. I have several decorations from tanks past to choose from.

I have not cycled this tank yet but I wondered if a half dozen neon tetras would be enough to cycle the tank, then add the corys and more tetra later on?

If I was to put angels in what common angel would you suggest in this tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I can't answer the other questions, but spare the fish and do a fishless cycle. There are articles in the library, but basically you feed the tank ammonia to start the bacteria growing. This way the fish are spared the toxic ammonia and nitrate that can kill/damage them during the cycle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the way I had planned on going but the ets is trying to get the better of me. I think I need and intervention.

Is there any brand of the bacteria in a bottle that works well?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Someone I trust alot told me that Seachem's Stability worked in reseeding a tank he had to drain for him. Enough so that I just bought a bottle of the stuff yesterday.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.

If I read the article right products that contain bio-spira should work as long as they are in date. I may try to pick some up tonight. Id like to have this tank running in a couple weeks.

Now I just need validation that the fish are compatible and that my numbers are right. I also have a post on my tropical board. They are just really slow.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I recommend not using play sand. It works but is very fine and stirs up real easy. Go for Leslie's pool filter sand. It's about $8.49 for 50 lbs and is a lot more course then play sand. I have lost HOB's with play sand, all in all it is about $5 more but what a difference and doesn't kill filters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point. I'll check with my pool guy, see if he can give me some. :D I'm cheap where I can be, why buy when I can possibly get it free :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Dr. Tim's One and Only is the "new" Bio Spira. And he is right on Cichlid-forum to help with any questions. I'd would use it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so gotta get pfs and bacteria in a bottle. I think that's as far as I can get this weekend. But first lunch.

·
Banned
178 Posts
rmiller said:
Ok, so I am gathering the nesacery supplies to setup a 55 gallon Lab/Dem tank, however it looks like it may take another couple months until it is set up. In the meantime I have ETS (empty tank syndrome.) I want to set up my 30 gal bowfront (tall) as a community tank.

I know I want to have neon tetras, probably about a dozen and a half dozen albino corys. I have also thought about putting a pair of angels in this setup.

The tank will have play sand and a penguin 280 filter. I have several decorations from tanks past to choose from.

I have not cycled this tank yet but I wondered if a half dozen neon tetras would be enough to cycle the tank, then add the corys and more tetra later on?

If I was to put angels in what common angel would you suggest in this tank?
May be going overboard a little with the albino cories lol, I would suggest 6-8 in a 30 :) I mean I love cories and I can see why you would want so many but 6-8 would be just fine. Also a pair of angels would be perfect in a 30 but NOT with neon tetras, once the angels get big enough there is a chance they might make a snack out of the neons, I would try a different schooling fish that gets a little bit bigger :fish:

Glo-light rasboras are kinda similar to neon tetras, they have a yellow stipe instead of blue and they get big enough so the angels won't eat them. They are active and stay together near the top and middle of your tank. They are hardy enough to cycle with but I wouldn't recommend cycling with any fish at all, if for some reason you make a mistake your fish have to suffer through it and possibly not make it through at all. It's best to be patient and go fish-less, and you can use a bacteria-in-a-bottle product to speed up the process.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
lil_gold_ram Also a pair of angels would be perfect in a 30 but NOT with neon tetras, once the angels get big enough there is a chance they might make a snack out of the neons, I would try a different schooling fish that gets a little bit bigger
I have fed my angels neons at 2". Don't mix these two unless you want to watch them feed on your neons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:lol: lil_gold_ram, I really need to proof read better! There will be 6 cories, and the neon tetras. I have started to think more along the lines of guppies for the top. No fish are planned for this tank until it cycles. :thumb:

·
Banned
178 Posts
rmiller said:
:lol: lil_gold_ram, I really need to proof read better! There will be 6 cories, and the neon tetras. I have started to think more along the lines of guppies for the top. No fish are planned for this tank until it cycles. :thumb:
lol, ok so that was a type-o. Guppies? Guppies are fine if you don't mind them multiplying lol. You could do a pair of bolivian rams instead of the angels then you won't have to worry about the neons being lunch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts