Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the Hypselecara temporalis? A lady at my local fish store called it a "chocolate Cichlid". She said it would be ok to mix with my tank to help with filling and less aggression. I have 2 Yellow Blaze Lithobates, a blue Peacock, orange burst peacock, 1 Aulonocara Rubescens (which the Lithobates bully him) and a few tin foil barbs and filament barbs. I have a 75gallon. The Lithobates already bullied one of the Rubescens and he died within 2 days. I'm still trying to figure out a good mix :?
Thank you for any and all help!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hypselecara temporalis or chocolate cichlid, is a larger, mostly peaceful south American cichlid. I wouldn't mix it with the African cichlids you currently have. They are also borderline to big for a 75 gallon.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
They also like a lower pH than Africans.

The yellow labs, go with 1m:4f of them.

When you are doing a large variety of hap and peacock species, try to limit to one gender...usually male. And choose one of each with no look-alikes. So lost one lithobates.

There are a variety of haps that you could add, and a yellow peacock. Shoot for 12 cichlids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what are your thoughts on the following:

Copadichromis Borleyi (RED FIN BORLEYI)
Exochromis Anagenys
Protomelas Sp. "STEVENI TAIWAN" (TAIWANEE REEF)
Protomelas Marginatus
Placidochromis Johnstoni

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The exochromis would be too large for a 4 foot tank. I would stick to fish that stay 6-7". I've tried marginatus before in an all male tank and it didn't get too much color.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Also the borleyi, the johnstoni and the Taiwan reef are large for a 75G. Even further than james1983 I'd stick to fish that mature <= 6".

Marginatus is a good size but definitely a timid hap that may not color well with the tank mates you already have.

Put Placidochromis electra on your list for one. Copadichromis azureus. Fish like those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts