Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just got a young green Severum who changes colour very often and rapidly. I realise that they often lose colour when stressed but this is amazing!
She (I think its a she) is able to change from light, pale green to VERY dark in the space of a second, and change back just as quickly.

I know that light conditions and surroundings do not affect the change as she swims all over the tank no matter what colour she happens to be wearing at the time, also, the dark vertical stripe just in front of her tail comes and goes at will :-?

Is this normal for young Severums, or do I have a strange Severum-Octopus hybrid freak creature? :p

Cheers,
Mcflyyy

ps, she forgives me for that last comment :D

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Hi,

It's pretty much normal - some will be seemingly more "expressive" than others - it's their way of displaying their mood, like an emoticon, but better....

You'll find that conflict makes them go as dark as night with fiery eyes and fins.
Food makes them go either way - dark (without the fire) or lighter and accentuated stripes.
When freaked they can lose almost all barring and go a very pale, soft colour.
Whilst chilling they show their intense colouration with the full range of hues and iridescence.

There are combinations of all of the above, but IME those are the predominant colour cycles that can be seen...

HTH.
Blair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Blair,
Thanks for your help!
She really does look amazing swimming around and changing colour every 10 seconds, I'm relieved to know that she's ok :)
Cheers,
Mcflyyy

·
Registered
396 Posts
I realize that they aren't cichlids, but I have some turquoise rainbows that do the same, but you can see the colors surging through them almost as if they were electric!

You can see waves of green and blue surging through their bodies... It doesn't happen all the time - but when it does, it's amazing to watch!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts