Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add something to my Malawi show tank to consume algae on an ongoing basis. The problem with bristlenose plecos (Ancistrus sp.) is that I already have several large haps of the Protomelas and Copadichromis genera in the tank. They are all at least 6" and one is 8" long. It's hard to find bristlenoses big enough to mix with cichlids this big.

The suckermouth catfish of the genus Hypancistrus have caught my attention. I have no idea whether they will eat algae, but the genus name suggests that they probably share some similarities with Ancistrus cats. They seem to grow to a larger size than Ancistrus cats, to a size where they wouldn't figure to just end up in the mouth of a big hap. And some of them are actually attractively marked.

Anyone ever kept them in a Malawi tank? If so, how did it work out?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 150 gallon African Cichlid tank. I have 3 L144 blue eye bristlenose plecos in my tank. They are about 4" in size. I put them in my tank when tey were 21/2 - 3 inches in size. They do a great job. There is no algae in my tank. I have some large Haps in my tank & a Frontosa. They do not pay atention to my Plecos. My larger fish are 6-8 inches in size. Hypans are great plecos but thet are not a good choice for algae control. They prefer a carnivore diet more like bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc. I have a L46 Zebra Pleco that doesn't do much to control algae. :fish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.