Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quastion regarding an accidental coupling that took place in my tank. Poppa is Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chipoka"- Red Peacock. Momma is Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chipoka"- Sunshine Peacock. Will the offspring be hybrids? Both parents are the same genus, species and type, but have been line bred to highlight different colors. At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is very interesting and I wanted to see other people's feedback as well.

In my opinion, technically this is not hybridization since they are indeed the same species.

The problem with line bred species is that you kind of have to hope that they remain "pure" after so many generations of breeding, and there is no real way to tell.

For example, I Own Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Eureka Red" - a line bred variant of Otter Point. In the batch that I bought, I have a red type and yellow type that I am breeding (even in the female's finnage there is a difference in color). Otter Point has an orange coloration. I'm still allowing both colorations to breed though, since they should be the same species....

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Actually, those are probably two collection point variants that you have. See this article.

I'll double check this in Koning's book when I get home, but I think you have the following:

The Orange-Red is a:
Aulonocara sp. "stuartgranti maleri" (Chidunga). Chidunga is very close to Chipoka and thus sometimes they will be exported with the wrong name.

The 'Sunshine' peacock is:
Aulonocara sp. "stuartgranti maleri" (Chipoka)

In any case, the fry aren't species hybrids, but I still wouldn't distribute them. Unless perhaps if a friend wanted one for an all-male tank or something like that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. No intentions of distributing these kids. Hoping one male will survive, as we're trying to stock an all male tank. The Aulonocora red is a beautiful specimen- I must admit we're very curious to see what a male offspring between these two would look like.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
aznf0o said:
In my opinion, technically this is not hybridization since they are indeed the same species.
the man made construct called "species" is irrelevant to the question of whether a crossing is hybridization or not. Hybridization is simply the blending of two gene pools that are normally distinct from each other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts