Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at few different Metriaclima and Cynotilapia species who look somewhat different in color and body shape. Specifically Metriaclima Sp. Membe Deep and Metriaclima Sp. Dolphin and Cynotilapia Afra 'Jalo Reef' and Cynotilapia Sp. "Hara". I realize that there is always some chance of hybrid fry when mixing a genus, but how likely would you think it is? Would I likely have a problem mixing the two Cynos or Dolphin for conspecific aggression?

Also, in my research I've noticed that in some references Metriaclima is referred to as Maylandia, which is the proper Genus?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I<3Cichlids said:
Have been looking at few different Metriaclima and Cynotilapia species who look somewhat different in color and body shape. Specifically Metriaclima Sp. Membe Deep and Metriaclima Sp. Dolphin and Cynotilapia Afra 'Jalo Reef' and Cynotilapia Sp. "Hara". I realize that there is always some chance of hybrid fry when mixing a genus, but how likely would you think it is? Would I likely have a problem mixing the two Cynos or Dolphin for conspecific aggression?

Also, in my research I've noticed that in some references Metriaclima is referred to as Maylandia, which is the proper Genus?

Thanks for your time!
I would always be concerned with mixing barred specimens of Cynotilapia and Metriaclima for crossbreeding. The deep, not so much.

Metriaclima vs. Maylandia. --> http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/m ... landia.php

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply Fogelhund!

So the two Metriaclima species would probably be okay, or a Cyno and a Membe Deep, but don't mix Hara and Dolphin even though they have a very dissimilar body type and color pattern? Just trying to make sure I'm totally understanding.

As for Metriclima v Maylandia sounds like they're both technically right for the moment being!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think what Fogel was suggesting is that the closer their color patterns/body shape, the more likely they are to cross. Being in the same genus doesn't necessarily increase the risk as much (though it does increase it to some extent).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just to play Devil's Advocate, i don't really think either of those cynos bear any resemblance at all to the dolphin Manda. Body shape, face shape, fin profile, size, pattern, color, blaze, and jaw all look completely different between those fish. Is blue barring really a deal breaker when the barring and color are different? I could definitely see not mixing the two Cynotilapia, as that's a much closer likeness.

Now in the spirit of full disclosure I had planned on keeping the jalo reef variant with the dolphins myself so I am curious if that's the case...and if so I'd better find a replacement!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
702Cichlid said:
Just to play Devil's Advocate, i don't really think either of those cynos bear any resemblance at all to the dolphin Manda. Body shape, face shape, fin profile, size, pattern, color, blaze, and jaw all look completely different between those fish. Is blue barring really a deal breaker when the barring and color are different? I could definitely see not mixing the two Cynotilapia, as that's a much closer likeness.

Now in the spirit of full disclosure I had planned on keeping the jalo reef variant with the dolphins myself so I am curious if that's the case...and if so I'd better find a replacement!
How different do the females look? I'd suggest not a great deal. That is where your concern should be. If they did hybridize, at what stage could you easily determine the fry were hybrids. I mean, it really isn't incredibly easy to tell the difference in two pure fry of those types at 3/4". You can but...

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would not do the Jalo Reefs and Metriaclima sp. dolphin together. Not enough contrast for me if no other reason.

I do keep Cynotilapia sp. hara and Demasoni together. Body color of fish is almost-white versus almost-black. One has wide bars, one has narrow. One has bars along entire body, one has only a few bars at the head end.

But still, the sub-doms can look alike. When the demasoni fade their bars and the hara darken overall, the fish can look similar.

·
Registered
392 Posts
@Fogelhund - Sorry, wasn't trying to be overly obtuse or impertinent. Just wanted to know if my stocking plan required another (i think that's 18) overhaul since the time of ordering fish is nigh at hand. I was simply looking for a place where people draw the line at what 'conspecific'. I am a neophyte, so it sounds like it was good to ask since my definition may have been too liberal. Thanks for the advice!

@DJRansome - Would, by the same token, Hara be okay with Metriaclima Sp. Dolphin as Hara gets along with Demasoni in your tank? Do you save any fry from that tank (i remember you saying that you didn't save Lab or Red Zebra fry from that tank...was wondering if you felt safer about the Hara or Demasoni fry? Thanks also for taking the time to chime in!

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I do save lab fry now that the male Metriaclima estherae has died.

Originally I felt very confident about saving demasoni and/or hara fry from the tank, but doubts are starting to creep in. Sometimes it takes more than a glance to tell if a fish is demasoni or hara if both fish are at the bottom of the pecking order.

I'm liking the mix right now so we will see how it goes. In 5 years if all the fish in that tank look alike then we will know, LOL.

I would not equate the behavior of Metriaclima dolphin with the behavior of demasoni and from member descriptions, I would not combine the dolphin and the hara. Having kept the hara for a couple years now, I'd say too aggressive for the dolphin. My hara do not back down from the demasoni during territorial disputes. Pretty evenly matched IME.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts