Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stunning male Trewavasse Maleri but I am struggling to find any females.
I can however get my hands on two Trewavasse Chilumba females.
Would the fry then be classed as Hybrids..

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
This is kind of a gray area in my opinion. I would not distribute fry from such a group. But if you are just looking for some females to keep your male happy (and well colored), then I don't see a problem with it.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Similis
they would be hybrids. There is a popular misconception that hybridization has to be more than one species, however species is a man-made construct that isn't "real". Hybridization is (simply put) the blending of two gene pools that were seperate groups previously.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Number6 said:
Similis
they would be hybrids. There is a popular misconception that hybridization has to be more than one species, however species is a man-made construct that isn't "real". Hybridization is (simply put) the blending of two gene pools that were seperate groups previously.
I take it then that it would be the same as breeding a Borundi and a Zaire Frontosa together.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Similis said:
take it then that it would be the same as breeding a Borundi and a Zaire Frontosa together.
It could be similar, or much worse... depends on how related the two groups were/weren't prior to a crossing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a responsible hobbiest it is up to us to keep the blood lines pure.
I will keep looking for some females, until then my poor male will have to keep chasing
female Interruptus looking for love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts