Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been waiting for my 5 honduran red points to pair off, and thus far, all I've had is the largest male (about 2.5") chase the others (not 24/7, but on a decently regular basis) around the tank (heavily decorated for line of sight breaks - pic below).

The other fish in the tank are between 1.5" and 2", had to move one to the tank above it (bolivian rams) because it was hiding by the filter (turns out to be the small female of the bunch). None of the other fish have any orange on their bellies... I'm contemplating just keeping the big male (he's GORGEOUS) as a one fish tank, and I'm not sure if I should re-introduce the female from the top tank, or if I should take out the smaller "males" (not sure if they are but none have orange bellies) and just leave the male and the female in there.

Thoughts?

Here's the tank. The big male is in the flowerpot (less colorful because I just did a water change)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I don't have any advice, but my male honduran red point kills other fish. I think he has killed four or five other fish. This was in a 125g tank.

People say they are less aggressive than convicts, but I am not sure I agree with it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My HRP male I got at about 2". I added him to a two year old established 75g community. Other larger fish kept him in his place. He is not aggressive at all. Never starts a fight but will defend his territory and fry.

I was not sure if HRP females got orange on their bellies. But since we know yours are pure, that proves it.

.....Bill

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to try to reintroduce her tomorrow, if it doesn't work out, I'm probably just going to keep the male on his own, maybe keep the female and power-grow her in the ram tank.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the "female" died in my 37, mouth looked broken (constantly open) and she stayed on the bottom. Nobody else in the 37 was affected, but it seems as though they're all males in the 20L down below :roll:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts