Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set this up last night and took these pics this morning. I rinsed 10lbs of the sand for about 10 mins each out of the 20lbs I got. Its all settled and looks good I think. Suggestions, comments, etc are welcome!! Ill be going to Atlantis on saturday to pick up L. Brevis, L. Multi, L. ocellatus, or L. meleagrise. Out of those 4 which should I go with?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
L. Multi for me because of their fun to watch colony antics.
Breed up to a massive group (or groups) with lots of interesting colony stuff but few deaths.

I would move your shells into closer patches (maybe add a few for the most fun colony vs colony antics wise, sneaker male wise. new colonies vs old.) etc. :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im new to all of this... so how many fish can I add? I would like 3 of those 4 types. can I do that? Like a pair of each? I figured they would move the shells where they want them, am I wrong?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
One shelly would be my choice. You can prob squeeze in two (maybe 3 if you are prepared to work at arranging territories each few days but you kind of get constant conflict). It can work well do not get me wrong but you kind of need a blocking screen (or some sort of territory separator) to separate them so they do not constantly fight over the available shells.

One type is the simplest way to success.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have a 20g long with 7 L. Multi and they are doing great :D The only issue I have is that my two males fight to be top dog in the tank. So I made two shell beds on each side of the tank with rocks and drift wood in between and now they have formed two groups :dancing: Now I wish that I can get both groups to breed.
You should go with multies they are fun to watch. you should also add more shells I have about 3 per fish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I should put the shells in groups not dispersed everywhere? I got the shells from the dollar store. Ill get more eventually...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats with ur aquarium.
I`m in prosess of setting up an 40 g corner myself and it`s exiting.

Very nice shells u got there. What kind are they??

Looking forward to seeing more pictures when the fish gets in there.

Linka

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are just assorted shells from the dollar store. I got 3 baskets, each are 1lb. Theres only 5 or 6 usable shells in the basket though the rest are regular seashells.

Heres a better pic of the tank. I cant wait to put the fish in! I will keep this updated for sure!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I must say I like it. Would put some vallisneria in just for color and something living other than the fish. I kinda like some plants.
But other than that I like ur rocks and live the shells.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I would like to put a plant in as well but haven't that researched yet. I need something that will do well in high PH.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use vallisnaria and javafern in my malawitank and have had no problems with them.
Don`t know if tangs eat more plants than mbunas but vallisneria is a fast growing plant that spreads real nice. And u can just cut it down if it grows to high.

I`ll link u some photos

Vallisneria spiralis Tiger

Vallisneria americana gigante

Vallisneria americana "natans"

Javafern

These are norwegian forum sites, but if u scroll down the side on each profile they explain in english also.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here we buy them in LFS but if u dont fint anyone where u live I can always send u some. Have a lot u see.

And they grow fast. The javafern u can pin down to a roch and it will grow its roots there. Real nice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If u are thinking about the plants its up tu u. What U think is nice. They have kinda thin leafs so they arnt to big.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok i will look around for the plants. I do like the way they look with the thin leaves.

I meant if I stick to one species of shellies how many can I put in this tank???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oki. that I really don`t know so much about. I`m still learning myself.
Hope u get some answers.
Real interesting setting up a tang tank for the first time.
Getting my 40 g this sunday and I am soo exited.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts