Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that API used to make a chlorine and chloramine test kit but no longer does. So how do we test for chlorine and chloramine? Seems sort of like a waste to just add water conditioner willy nilly without really knowing if or how much is necessary.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
WaWaZat said:
It seems that API used to make a chlorine and chloramine test kit but no longer does. So how do we test for chlorine and chloramine? Seems sort of like a waste to just add water conditioner willy nilly without really knowing if or how much is necessary.
Well if you're on city water your water provider should be able to tell you how much chlorine/chloramine to expect. Personally I've never tested for chlorine and I've been told by others no chloramine here but I use prime and put in the directed amount last bottle I bought was the gallon size so I'll let you know if/when it runs out I think the whole bottle treats ~40,000 gallons of water? Yeah thats like 400 weeks of water changes for me or like 8 years and thats a conservative estimate so more than enough to not have to worry about adding it willy nilly :thumb:

I'm guessing you don't have any fish in with that surf board yet? :p

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cyclesafety said:
Test strips that combine free chlorine and chloramine are available from most pool stores. Or order here:

http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/con ... -RLR440006
See... same prob I'm having everywhere. This product, as well as every other chlorine/chloramine test kit ever made for aquariums isn't made anymore.

Does a pool/spa test kit test down to 0?

Rhinox... no, no fish but you'll be glad to know the surfboard is in, submerged and positioned EXACTLY the way I envisioned it! I'm happy and proud of the way this has turned out! Pix in time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Consumer Confidence Report for my local municipality's water supply. It lists .85 - .98 ppm for chlorine. Doesn't say anything about Chloramine. It does list Haloacetic Acids and Trihalomethanes, which are defined as By-Product of drinking water chlorination.

So how do I know if my water contains chloramine, or these other by-products for that matter? I know that chlorine will evaporate out if let to stand but without a test kit, how does one know for sure? For that matter, how do I know for sure my water conditioner is working properly?? There must be a test kit avail that reads these chemicals down to zero. Just because no one has had a prob after using conditioners doesn't mean that a prob doesn't exist. Could be something cumulative that has a long-term affect on fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts