Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a used 75G setup but it's missing the hood and light setup and i don't know which brand I would have to buy cause he's going to drop the price by that much. It's got a big glass center brace and it's oak in color but I don't know much more about it than that. He said it's pretty old but it was holding water great and never been resealed or anything. Anybody happen to know what brand it is i don't thing I've seen to many with glass center braces so I'm hoping that makes it stand out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason I'm thinking Oceanic made them like that 10 years ago or so but I was hoping somebody would confirm that cause my memory is horrible so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Found this on an old forum post... Not sure if the "clear cross brace" is glass or plexiglass

Oceanic is owned by all-glass.

Oceanic tanks is the high end line. They will come with better silicone job, a different type of bracing (usually a clear cross brace also) and the overflow boxes are a black acrylic box.

However, they both have excellent warranties, and will last indefinatly if setup on a proper stand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I read that too but Im thinking that was mostly people with those really hot metal hallide bulbs right over it wasn't it???

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This might be your answer. Old forum post on Aquaria central. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/ar ... -4873.html

I've got the Oceanic 150 and it's great. Thick glass, perfect silicone job, glass brace. But, from what I've heard, the All Glass is as well. (Didn't know they were the same company.... Go figure.) So, saving the dough (or spending it on the U.V. with a spare bulb :D ) might be the better way to go.

·
Registered
495 Posts
oceanic has the glass center piece I have 3 oceanic's 1 120 with a glass brace and a 100 that had a brace but is not missing.

I like oceanic

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would suggest just get some custom glass cut and put whatever light you like over the top.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Now this has my wheels turning. Is there anything that one can look for to see who made the aquarium? I just got that 75g and have been wondering what brand it is, since the glass seems quite a bit thicker that my 55g and the silicone seams looks a lot nicer too.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A glass center brace is used by Oceanic aquariums. It is also used by Deep Sea Aquatics (a small regional aquarium manufacturer in Texas made up of old Oceanic employees who were let go when the company moved to Franklin, WI in 2006).

Most 75 gallons are made with 3/8" thick glass which requires a center brace. If your aquarium has thicker glass (5/8"+) it may not require one.

Andy

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Most aquariums have an inspection sticker underneath the frame somewhere. If you can snap a picture of it I can probably tell you who made it. I could also tell by getting a good view of the frame profile.

Andy

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks for all the replies and it's looking like I was right for once haha. I'm going to go ahead and pick it up this weekend then I'll clean it up and get some pictures of it to post to this thread so we can confirm this once and for all. I've got an idea for the hood though. On foster & smiths site you can buy just the silicone hinge for the All Glass Versa Top lid and the back plastic piece and the handle separately for around $28 something like that and I got a buddy that works at the local glass and window shop and I can't imagine he would charge me more than $10 to cut a couple strips of glass. Are those glass tops usually tempered though or are they just regular old easy to bread glass?? I would also think it is going to have to be thick glass because the way the glass center brace is it's actually below the inside lip of the frame so there isn't going to be any support for the lid in the center it's going to have to span the entire 48"s across the tank. Not sure how thats going to work out yet.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There should be a plastic strip that runs front to back on top the center brace that the tops sit on. If it is not there you could put a thin strip of wood in place to replicate it. I would not suggest using a 48" long piece of glass. It is going to be heavy and easily broken. You are better off using 4 smaller pieces of glass. Glass canopy glass is not typically tempered glass but the edges are sanded so they don't have sharp edges that could cut you.

Andy

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Na there's no center brace there at least I don't think so. I'm picking it up on Saturday afternoon so I'll get some pics up then. How did is the glass center brace attached from the factory?? Did they just silicone it to the plastic rim or the top of the glass sides? I didn't look close enough at it. Also what did the Oceanic tanks come with from the factory as far as a lid and light setup?? I haven't been able to find a picture of one yet. I was already thing about the strip of something between the center brace and glass top but realistically the silicone hinge is going to be the lowest point of the top and would be the only thing bearing weight so I think even a piece of say pvc cut to the right size stuck directly under the hinge and on top of the center brace would work just fine or probably a couple pieces of pvc because the center brace is actually pretty wide. I'd say a good 10"s.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I honestly don't think that a 2" strip cut out of the center of the glass would be a significant enough weight savings to determine whether or not it could be opened without breaking. With that being said it could be an issue if it's open from say a corner instead of the middle due to flex of the glass. I'm going to use 3/16 glass as that's what the hinge is setup for. I talked to the glass shop today and brought up that I was concerned about the weight and they assured me with that thickness of glass it'll be fine and claimed to have done many of them. He also said that tempered glass wasn't really necessary in his opinion but it definitely wouldn't hurt just be more expensive. With regular 3/16" cut to size and edges sanded and rounded was $20. Not quite as cheap as I was hoping he could do but the guy I knows boss was standing right there but I still got a break because of the property management company I run and I give him lots of business lol.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The center brace is siliconed to the front and back panels of glass. They need to be really wide because the bonding area is really small and you need a minimum amount to get the strength necessary to keep from coming apart.

Oceanic tanks use a glass canopy and strip light (just like Aqueon and most other tank manufacturers).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts