Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell if a female mbuna is carrying eggs and might be ready to spawn? My male yellow lab is doing his dance, but my females don't seem interested just yet. They are still fairly young however. I was just wondering if by looking at a female if you can tell if she is carrying eggs.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
A sign they are ready to spawn may be a protruding egg tube. I don't always see this, but fairly often.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
forkman said:
Is there a way to tell if a female mbuna is carrying eggs and might be ready to spawn? My male yellow lab is doing his dance, but my females don't seem interested just yet. They are still fairly young however. I was just wondering if by looking at a female if you can tell if she is carrying eggs.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The youngest I have seen is 1.5" including tail. But I can't say most labs start holding then. It varies widely.

Likely if they are carrying eggs they would at least occasionally let themselves be coaxed into doing a circle or two. Maybe his dancing is aggression and not spawning? They look nearly identical.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one that I would say is definitely a male. He has very pronounced black on all of his fins. One of them has a very minimal amount of black on its dorsal fin, while the other 3 have absolutely no black at all. I would estimate that they are about 2" long and approximately 6 months old.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Labidochromis caeruleus should absolutely have black at least on the dorsal fin. Intensity of color is not reliable for determining gender. All my labs have had black on all fins when spit.

I would separate the fish with no black from your breeding group.

I'd give them another 6 months before worrying about why they might not be spawning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts