Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It's my 1st video with commentary so please excuse any mistakes that I've made.

This is my personal guide to stripping African Cichlids and fry after care. I know I didn't cover everything and missed some information out but as a general guide you can't go wrong. I don't claim to know everything there is to know about stripping African Cichlids. I just hope this guide will help someone out..

The video is 14:20 minutes long so get a beer and sit back

Please be nice :thumb:

·
Registered
117 Posts
nice video Marc lots of useful information in there, and nice to see another UK member

let us know when you release your update videos..

P.S *** got a Rio180 as well!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will1983 said:
nice video Marc lots of useful information in there, and nice to see another UK member

let us know when you release your update videos..

P.S I've got a Rio180 as well!
Thanks buddy, RIO180's are good tanks! My current main tank is a RIO240 I owned a 180 about 3years ago.

If you subscribe you definitely wont miss the updated vids.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I watched it, was curious what ur technique was. I have stripped cichlids for prob 1.5 yrs now, so, nothing was new, but, thank you for contributing to the community! my only real difference is I use a soft rounded toothpick to open the females mouth. using my thumb never worked well for me

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
justinf67 said:
I watched it, was curious what ur technique was. I have stripped cichlids for prob 1.5 yrs now, so, nothing was new, but, thank you for contributing to the community! my only real difference is I use a soft rounded toothpick to open the females mouth. using my thumb never worked well for me
Thank you for watching it. I made it for the beginner in mind. I know there's a few videos that quickly show the process but don't really go in to detail especially with fry after care.

I know I missed some things out and in the video I did mention there's so many methods, I would like people to make video responses showing their methods as a contrast :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
You nailed it pretty spot on. It will def help out people when they ask. Videos are better teaching tools for beginners. My only other diference is that I do the stripping into a large tupperware container that is only used for fish. i put the mother back in the main tank, and transfer the fry into a waiting tank. I float them, and add water to adjust them to the chemistry.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
justinf67 said:
You nailed it pretty spot on. It will def help out people when they ask. Videos are better teaching tools for beginners. My only other diference is that I do the stripping into a large tupperware container that is only used for fish. i put the mother back in the main tank, and transfer the fry into a waiting tank. I float them, and add water to adjust them to the chemistry.
That's exactly what I normally do :)

I used the tank to be to show what i was doing better.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I must be doing something right my video already has 2 awards :)

Honours for this video (2)
#66 - Most Discussed (This Week) - Pets & Animals
#57 - Top Rated (This Week) - Pets & Animals

And it's only been up for 2 days!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Malawi_Marc said:
Well I guess I wasted my time trying to help out beginners? :(
No, not a waste of time! I'm new to cichlid rearing and I thought your video was great! I'm also following your fry tank videos, as I have one going right now also and it's really nice to know I'm doing things right!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
danatwh said:
Malawi_Marc said:
Well I guess I wasted my time trying to help out beginners? :(
No, not a waste of time! I'm new to cichlid rearing and I thought your video was great! I'm also following your fry tank videos, as I have one going right now also and it's really nice to know I'm doing things right!
That's good to know thank you! New fry video up tomorrow.

·
Registered
281 Posts
nice vid mate, i strip my moorii every 4 weeks now, 3 females at once, lots of fry.
your vid will help the biginner as said. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently did my first strip. Yellow lab gave me about 16 fry. They are probably between 1/4" and 1/2" long now and I was wondering when it would be ok to put them in the adults tank.

Good video - thanks. 25-26 degrees is about 77-79F.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Piper said:
I recently did my first strip. Yellow lab gave me about 16 fry. They are probably between 1/4" and 1/2" long now and I was wondering when it would be ok to put them in the adults tank.

Good video - thanks. 25-26 degrees is about 77-79F.
If you think the fry will fit in to the mouths of your main tanks stock then I wouldnt add them yet.

Ps thanks for clearing up the temp conversion.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Fry are not even safe with other fry...lol

I strip mine into a container in my main tank. No variant in the water and fry are segregated for protection. Sometimes I miss one and the mother spits it in the main tank. I'll see it for a while among the rocks....eventually it disappears, but once in a while one makes it long enough to not fit into the mouth of the others....or gets fast enough.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Riceburner said:
Fry are not even safe with other fry...lol

I strip mine into a container in my main tank. No variant in the water and fry are segregated for protection. Sometimes I miss one and the mother spits it in the main tank. I'll see it for a while among the rocks....eventually it disappears, but once in a while one makes it long enough to not fit into the mouth of the others....or gets fast enough.
Thanks, that's a perfect example of fry being able to fit in to other tank mates mouths :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Malawi_Marc said:
simo1973 said:
nice vid mate, i strip my moorii every 4 weeks now, 3 females at once, lots of fry.
Thank you, whereabouts in the North East are you mate.
Darlington mate. Stuck right between middlesbrough and newcastle, for my sins lol.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
simo1973 said:
Malawi_Marc said:
simo1973 said:
Thank you, whereabouts in the North East are you mate.
Darlington mate. Stuck right between middlesbrough and newcastle, for my sins lol.
I've got good and bad memories of Darlington, back in my Army training days lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts