Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly we had a Ick/Velvet breakout and wiped out my entire 125 Gallon Severum/Geophages tank. How do I perfectly clean my tank and setup the tank for new fish?

I have used FX4 Canister Filter, Sand Substrate and drift woods.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss.
But, glad to see you're ready to get back into this thing, and haven't given up!
-
A couple options you could consider,
- Nuke & Pave: This is the one where you completely remove all of the substrate, replace all of the filter media, and scrub every bit of the filter with a dilute solution of household bleach and allow everything to thoroughly air dry. Your decorations and furnishings inside the tank are all boiled in hot water. The empty tank is wiped down with a dilute solution of household bleach and allowed to complete air dry. Then, you basically start everything over again from scratch.
or
- Heat, Salt & Time: My preferred choice. Bump up the heat inside the tank to 88 - 90 degrees (if it will go that far). The high heat won't kill the Ick or Velvet. But, it will certainly help to speed up their life cycle. Add non-iodized salt. Go cheap with this at the grocery store, or go expensive with specialty aquarium salts if your prefer... The deadly micro-organisms you are killing with that salt will die exactly the same. Then lastly - time. You have to wait out those nasties in there when doing this. They're safe when in the encysted stage of their lifecycle on the bottom. It's when they hatch out and are actively looking for a live host, that you kill them with the salt. The wait time should go for a minimum of 30 days. I'm THAT GUY though, that pushes this wait time out to 45 days. I like to be completely sure those little killers are ALL DEAD.

During the treatment, you will need to add drops of ammonia to feed your beneficial bacteria and keep things established and ready for the new occupants to ultimately arrive, when the situation inside the tank is safe for them in there again.
Done!

Reactions: shanmugass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss.
But, glad to see you're ready to get back into this thing, and haven't given up!
-
A couple options you could consider,
- Nuke & Pave: This is the one where you completely remove all of the substrate, replace all of the filter media, and scrub every bit of the filter with a dilute solution of household bleach and allow everything to thoroughly air dry. Your decorations and furnishings inside the tank are all boiled in hot water. The empty tank is wiped down with a dilute solution of household bleach and allowed to complete air dry. Then, you basically start everything over again from scratch.
or
- Heat, Salt & Time: My preferred choice. Bump up the heat inside the tank to 88 - 90 degrees (if it will go that far). The high heat won't kill the Ick or Velvet. But, it will certainly help to speed up their life cycle. Add non-iodized salt. Go cheap with this at the grocery store, or go expensive with specialty aquarium salts if your prefer... The deadly micro-organisms you are killing with that salt will die exactly the same. Then lastly - time. You have to wait out those nasties in there when doing this. They're safe when in the encysted stage of their lifecycle on the bottom. It's when they hatch out and are actively looking for a live host, that you kill them with the salt. The wait time should go for a minimum of 30 days. I'm THAT GUY though, that pushes this wait time out to 45 days. I like to be completely sure those little killers are ALL DEAD.

During the treatment, you will need to add drops of ammonia to feed your beneficial bacteria and keep things established and ready for the new occupants to ultimately arrive, when the situation inside the tank is safe for them in there again.
Done!
Thank you so much for the reply. I think I will go with Heat, Salt and Time Approach

I am new this hobby, and I am so interested in this so I will not give up.

I have made few mistakes and learned from those mistakes
  1. Added too many fish at one time. Thanks to "Thanks giving deals"
  2. I saw dust/white spot, at that time I didn't know it was ick disease
  3. I don't have proper medication when I knew it was Ick
  4. Tried to feed them when they are unable to eat :(
  5. During medication I have changed 30% water directly from the sink(by switching hot and cold water), I think caused more stress to them
  6. I did everything in urgent to save them, I will have to think twice before doing something to the tank

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Whew..... aiight.
Don' worry - we've all been there with this thing. Looks like you're gonna get a lot stronger in this, applying what you learned. Let those mistakes INFORM YOU! Not, DEFINE you!
  • Get a quarantine tank! Something at least 10 gallons in size, for any new additions to go in before being added to the main/community tank.
  • Using ammonia to keep your biological filtration set up and ready while the fish are out of the tank: Fishless Cycling
Good luck! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts