Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and Happy Cichlid raising! I have a 75 gallon tank that I am treating for ich. It's weird. I haven't introduced any fish or plants for almost 3 years but one of my guys has ich. He is the largest of the fish and recently lost a couple buddies (2 months ago) due to a severe pH dip. However, I fixed that problem. This is a new one. Dark Shadows has ich. I raised the water temp to 80ish and am now gradually adding salt - 2 tblspns per 5 gal (~ 2 cups) over the course of 48 hours as directed. However, I started to think about what my aquarium looks like when I do a cleaning and remove approx 15 gal of water. It actually looks like it is about 2/3rd's full at that point. So, I am thinking there really isn't 75 gal of water in there. I have about 2.5 - 3 inches of rocks on the bottom and several large rocks and structures in my aquarium. I am thinking there is really more like 50 gal of water in there and that is the number I should use to gauge how much salt to put in. What do you think?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I can't advise on how to adjust dosing, but here is the concept that can help you estimate your water volume (doing a 90% water change and measuring the refill volume would obviously be most accurate):

- a 5 gallon bucket filled with fairly round gravel, sand, fist size rocks, etc (particle size does not affect porosity) will have anywhere from 1.5-2.5 gallons of empty space

I put 4 five gallon pails of rocks and 40 lbs of sand in my 75 gallon. I'd guess that there is no more than 10 gallons of space taken up in my tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
I always just dose according to what the tank holds...75G I dose for 75G regardless of items displacing water in the tank.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DutchAJ said:
- a 5 gallon bucket filled with fairly round gravel, sand, fist size rocks, etc (particle size does not affect porosity) will have anywhere from 1.5-2.5 gallons of empty space
Just to be clear here, the porosity being the same no matter particle size is if all the particles are the same size, if you mixed the rocks you could make them fit like a puzzle. Not that any of this matters for keeping fish...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm...thanks for your input Dutch and DJ. I'll have to think on it...I don't want to screw this up as I am nervous enough about adding all of this salt.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I go by the capacity of the tank without rocks or sand as well. Don't worry, they're tougher than you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:). I can't believe how well they are doing with all of this salt in the water. They seem just as happy and energetic as ever - maybe even more so. Why not just keep it there if they do so well with it? Then, you'll never get ich.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Some people do leave some salt in the water as a preventative measure but at lower concentrations. Salt at ich treatment levels probably wouldn't be healthy long term. Salt helps promote a healthy slime coat and healing of wounds.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Even without salt you should pretty much never get ich. Quarantine your fish and maintain a healthy tank...no need for salt.

I've never had it in 12 years 7 or more tanks.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
DJRansome said:
Even without salt you should pretty much never get ich. Quarantine your fish and maintain a healthy tank...no need for salt.

I've never had it in 12 years 7 or more tanks.
Exactly, it's usually not something that comes up unless a fish that is infected is introduced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya! As I mentioned in my original post, I have not introduced any new fish or plants in almost 3 years so how could one fish get ich? But, I couldn't explain the huge white balls all over his sides any other way. And, I have more evidence now as the white balls have disappeared (the tormont stage). Perhaps the extreme stress of being put in the position of 'King Fish' it came out of hiding... Btw, I do keep low levels of salt in the tank (1 tspn/5 gal) anyway just because I have read of its healing and calming properties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it turns out...my fish did not have ich at all. the white spots are back. but all of the fish made it through the ich treatment (high temps and high salt content). I think he is what he is and he seems fine. He is the biggest fish in the tank and pretty much rules. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts