Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys;

I've got a 40-60gallon hex tank that's roughly 4ft tall and 12-16 inches from front to back. This acrylic tank is very narrow and I was wondering how the heck I can gravel vac the rocks at the bottom of the tank? I've tried standard gravel vacs with no luck. Right now the tank has a UGF system but I was thinking about getting other filteration for the tank. The only problem is that I still want to keep the tank aesthetically pleasing. Does anyone have any good ideas on better filtration I can get for this tank without having a whole lot of tubes and cords hanging out the back of the tank?

thx

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I could probably make a gravel vac out of PVC vs. paying $40+ off of ebay. I just hope the vac would work as expected. I had problems with the short vacs. I've been trying to avoid a canister filter because my Hex tank is so narrow that the tubes on the canister filter would take away from the look of the tank IMHO.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Cosmid,
I'm not a fan of having pipes up and down the tank either, and in your case they would look even worse being 4ft long!
I have a tank thats not against a wall so I had a glazier drill 2 holes in the bottom and put in bulkheads so both intake and outflow come up through the bottom of the tank. In an acryllic you could do it yourself without too much hassle (apart from emptying the tank of course)

Mcflyyy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.