Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No I didn't wash the decorations myself, I had brought my second ten gallon to college with me, and I had no roommate. Everything was happy, clean and healthy. i had 2 plecos, 5 guppies and a pair of Pineapple Swords. Well the school told me I need a roommate so I got one. She hated my fish, she wanted both dressers for her tv, so I moved the tank to my desk on my side of the room. Well she really hated them because a week after she moved in all my fish died. I found a chunk of hand soap under the java moss when I went to clean out the tank.

So needless to say I'm more then wary of using those decorations again, but they are really pretty and the pirate ship has plenty of hiding places, so I was wondering, is there a way to for sure get the soap off of the decorations? I've tried rinsing them, but it still feels like the soap is there. I have the last fish that belonged to my grandpa and I'd rather not kill them.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd say you need a new roommate! Just keep rinsing them in fresh water and it should come clean pardon the pun, as far as the substrate and everything else I don't know. Buy new?

What kind of soap was it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
:x :x I would super mad if that happened to me!

Maybe try to keep rinsing them with hot water or even try boiling them to soften up any residual soap and scrub them with a stiff bristle brush, rinse again, then give them a bleach soak, rinse again, and air dry. Even then I would really check them out for any soap suds or soapy feel to them.

Good luck and hope this doesnt happen to you again. I would be thinking booby trap of some sort! :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I don't have her anymore. And yes I was quite angry. I got rid of the rocks and plants, but couldn't part with the decorations. I'll try all of your suggestions, hopefully they work. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Even good roommates can be bad! Mine when I was a sophomore wanted to help so he fed them once without me. He fed my yellow lab and zebra until they stopped eating... Needless to say, bloat did them in.

Boiling them should be fine. Soaking them in water for long periods of time and changing the water often. Sucks what happened but +3 to the new roommate, she sounds like a selfish £[email protected]%# if you ask me, but I'm sure you already knew that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts