Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hii all, i am faced with a strange twist. Recently, all the fish i have been keeping are turning out to be females except S. Frieri. So i wonder, if there are methods to figure out how to differentiate the sexes of juveniles. It feels pretty depressing when you search for a male fish and hope to see the brilliant coloration but in the end it turns out to be a female with not too attractive colorations.

My query is, is there any way to figure out if Nimbochromis venustus is ending up to be a male one or a female one? i tried buying 4 from 4 different people but all 4 ended up to be females. so except the blue mask when they mature, any leads when they are juvies?

another query, how to know if a yellow lab is male or female? i have kept 4 together, hoping to get the ratio right, but with my luck, you never know. lol. so any pointers here would be very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
Well except venting works better once fish have spawned. And then you don't need to vent. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
A lot of it is experience and guessing with juveniles. No secret formula. If you see the fish in a group, you can always pick out a couple likely males. Females are just guessing.

Yellow Labs are actually very hard to sex. Much harder than average.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys!! so if i release 6 labs and check the male out and then take out a few females, its cool right?

Plus, how big does it need for the haps to be able to check for venting? i mean my venustus is already 3.5''. shall i try tomorrow to check? if not then how big should it be to check properly? U means female and V means male right :|

·
Registered
554 Posts
With six labs, and an ideal ratio of one male to four females, wouldn't you be taking out only one female? I think I may have missed something :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts