Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi!馃槂
Okay, I hope I wasn't bothering you!馃榾 I just found that what you wanted to do very interesting, that's all. I just love this hobby; you know?馃槂
How many tanks do you own? We have 8 at this moment but will soon be adding another 2 here soon though! Our babies are "growing out" of their habitats, actually.
Not at all! that's a lot of tanks! I currently have 4 and probably will get rid of one in near future. I've spent too much money and time on fish keeping, wife started to complain. :(

Super Moderator
This hobby is rarely (never?) static, or stable. Most of us are either growing out a bit and adding things here and there as needed. Or, are slimming 'the Herd' down some to streamline things or just simplify our lives....
To do this, one of the more common things I've seen (done?) is what I like to call 'THE COMBINATION'.
That is, when you are downsizing in the number of tanks. And a lot of times, even in the numbers/species of fish.
But....
With 'THE COMBINATION' - do not be fooled! Oh no....
  • Less tanks? Can often mean (much?) larger ones.
  • Less is Better type equipment? Can often mean much more expensive - but, much nicer filtration, lighting, heaters... the works! (Eheim visit, anyone?).
  • More 'natural' looking setups? Can mean purchasing interesting-looking rocks sold by the pound. VERY nice pieces of sometimes composite chunks of bog wood. And plants? Oh my.... just gotta have that rare Anubias type to tie off onto my really cool-looking new pieces of Bog Wood!
  • And fish? The LFS has proven to merely be the Gateway Drug for this addiction! Sourcing out rarer, more interesting species online suddenly seems imminently reasonable. Cichlids you've Never Heard Of, are researched in great depth in the hopes that just maybe I'll get THAT TANK set up for those guys...
Or, as @Aussieman57 has often informed?

"WELCOME TO THE INSANITY." :p

Registered
Not at all! that's a lot of tanks! I currently have 4 and probably will get rid of one in near future. I've spent too much money and time on fish keeping, wife started to complain. :(
Hi!馃槂
I understand for my husband is the same way, unfortunately.. But, he's patient with me and loves me a lot... I sigh...we're almost there where I want us to get too. My babies are multiplying and we need 2 more aquariums that are larger then we'll be set. I don't want anymore babies because the ones that we have are producing sooo... I shrug... Yes, I understand the cost though... The companies know what they're doing that's why I do my homework before I purchase anything and this appeases my hubby. For example, I wanted rocks; right? They are sooo expensive soooo I found an area that was doing some area work with putting in city water soooo we gathered our buckets and hauled rocks as many as I wanted for free!馃槂 Buzz doesn't complain my time spent on them though... I'm sorry...women become jealous, unfortunately...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This hobby is rarely (never?) static, or stable. Most of us are either growing out a bit and adding things here and there as needed. Or, are slimming 'the Herd' down some to streamline things or just simplify our lives....
To do this, one of the more common things I've seen (done?) is what I like to call 'THE COMBINATION'.
That is, when you are downsizing in the number of tanks. And a lot of times, even in the numbers/species of fish.
But....
With 'THE COMBINATION' - do not be fooled! Oh no....
  • Less tanks? Can often mean (much?) larger ones.
  • Less is Better type equipment? Can often mean much more expensive - but, much nicer filtration, lighting, heaters... the works! (Eheim visit, anyone?).
  • More 'natural' looking setups? Can mean purchasing interesting-looking rocks sold by the pound. VERY nice pieces of sometimes composite chunks of bog wood. And plants? Oh my.... just gotta have that rare Anubias type to tie off onto my really cool-looking new pieces of Bog Wood!
  • And fish? The LFS has proven to merely be the Gateway Drug for this addiction! Sourcing out rarer, more interesting species online suddenly seems imminently reasonable. Cichlids you've Never Heard Of, are researched in great depth in the hopes that just maybe I'll get THAT TANK set up for those guys...
Or, as @Aussieman57 has often informed?

"WELCOME TO THE INSANITY." :p
Haha that鈥檚 so true! I was always saying that this will be the last time I redo the setup, but at the end I wanted to try something new very soon. I guess that鈥檚 because the beauty of the infinite variety of the nature. Just so many species to explore.

Registered
Haha that鈥檚 so true! I was always saying that this will be the last time I redo the setup, but at the end I wanted to try something new very soon. I guess that鈥檚 because the beauty of the infinite variety of the nature. Just so many species to explore.
Hi!馃槂
I'm The exact way!馃槀馃槀馃槀 the hubby remarks, "leave those babies alone", alll the time but I'm trying to be better by them and doing better. He just shakes his head.
With our latest brood, he tells me ' to leave them alone if you want them to survive'...馃槀馃槀馃槀

21 - 26 of 26 Posts