Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 16 Dems in my tank along with some labs and my problem is I have one dem that is being harassed and is hiding up in the corner of the tank. But when I go up to the tank he dives back into the rock pile "getting lost" in the crowd so to speak, since they are all about a similar size.

Any ideas on how I can catch just this one guy. Dont wanna remove and trade in the wrong one, possibly trading one of my good females or compatible males.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Some people have suggested using a fish trap of sorts, using an empty and cleaned milk jug in the corner hopefully the fish will seek to get away in it and boom you got your fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
A fish being stressed usually has an identifying fin nip or missing scale that I can use to track him down. I often have success at feeding time when they are distracted or when another fish is chasing them and they are more worried about the fish than me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I taught my fish to eat out of the catch net. I have to run them out of my net. Won't work with fish that are not eating but otherwise it works. There are a lot of video out showing how to make a trap in a minute or two out of a clear soda bottle. I used a medium size Gatorade bottle. That works great also if they are eating. I caught a fish recently that wasn't eating when I noticed it was being chased through a certain area. I put the trap there without the top and sure enough it swam in and I grabbed the trap fast enough it didn't escape.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
A fish being stressed usually has an identifying fin nip or missing scale that I can use to track him down. I often have success at feeding time when they are distracted or when another fish is chasing them and they are more worried about the fish than me.
So would you leave him in there even if he is up hiding, but doesn't show any sign of damage?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Not forever, but if he did not let me catch him today...I'd try tomorrow. If there are no injuries there is probably no urgency.

·
Registered
561 Posts
& here I'm wondering No way I can catch my holding female.
she is about to release :-?

ps
I tried the 2 liter bottle trap.
I caught the Dominate & Duece males :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Holding female is different. Remove all the rocks. :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Best way to catch a fish is when there sleeping plus no stress for the fish been using this for years

·
Registered
561 Posts
poseidons minions said:
Best way to catch a fish is when there sleeping plus no stress for the fish been using this for years
sleeping?
how will u find your target?
they all sleeping in the rocks hidding :zz:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts