Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one male and two females and i want to breed them what do i do also money is tight.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Squege56 said:
I have one male and two females and i want to breed them what do i do also money is tight.
You really don't have to do anything. As long as your water parameters are good and you do weekly water changes they will eventually breed. How big are they? How big is your tank? When I was breeding yellow labs I'd say they started breeding around 3 inches long and about 4-6 months after I got them......just takes a little bit of time :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i right now only have 2 inch ones and a 55 galon tank but i wanted to know so when the time comes i can be prepared and should i get a breeder net

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
They are plenty big enough to breed. Are you certain of their sex? labs can be difficult to sex without venting or seeing the female holding...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guy at my lfs told me the sex of each one as he got them because he had them separated by sex

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok well is it true that females have white bellies and males are all yellow

·
Registered
977 Posts
I tell when they are holding. The only thing I notice is the dominant male has very black markings. The rest aren't as deep a black.

·
Registered
169 Posts
unfortunately that isnt even always true. I have a female that has held many times that has markings that rival any male I've seen.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I have a female that has held many times that has markings that rival any male I've seen
Interesting.. Would be nice to get one that has coloring like that to spawn...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks well i might get some more tonight to help my chances

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Since switching tanks a few months ago my labs still have not done anything, maybe the one I think is a male really isn't? Sure looks like one maybe he's just a late bloomer and doesn't know what he's missing, he's got plenty of ladies to choose from :lol:

Here's a pic, thoughts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Judging by the picture I'd say it's a... just kiddin gcan't tell from a picture unless it's a venting photo :D Seriously though, that's a nice looking lab with good black markings.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Squege56 said:
i right now only have 2 inch ones and a 55 galon tank but i wanted to know so when the time comes i can be prepared and should i get a breeder net
You are better off with a 10G tank. Hard to raise 20 fish to 1.5" in a breeder net. :thumb:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok i will look around for one

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got my wife to send me the picture I have of my Yellow Lab female that I would have sworn was a male until she held. Just goes to show you got to vent to be sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok thanks guys i am going to try to get a 10 gallon here soon and ill watch to see if they start holding in te next 6 months

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am surprised no one suggested you up the stocking on your Labs. When I was starting my mbuna tank I started with 10 labs and of those 10 , 3 were males 7 were females.

My point is starting with just a couple or so fish won't give you great odds of an ideal Male to Female ratio.

Worst case scenario, You have more males than females

maybe you get lucky and have 1 male 2 females which could work SHORT term,even with labs 2 girls will be light stock.

Obviously I know very little about your current stock aside from Labs,thinking maybe you have some other malawi cichlids housed with them.
If that's the case and you intend on breeding be sure NOT to house Metriaclima Estherea (red zebra) with the Labs as most will tell you they cross breed rather easily.

As far as white bellies go sex is not a factor.

My and female Lion's Cove has a white belly but so does a large percent of her fry,male and female. I believe white belly is simply a morph variant of the yellow labs originating from lions cove.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I started w/10 Lab juvies, a few didn't make it (ugly story there), and sold a few b/c my 55g was getting over stocked. I kept one obvious male and what I thought were two females based on size. Still not sure about one of them, but the other female gave me about 20 fry recently. And in my tank it was the males that tended to have white bellies. I hear it's usually due to stress.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts