Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded from a 36 gal tank to a 75 gal tank. It has turned out great.

From my 36 gal, I had the following occupants:
Yellow Lab - 3 inches
Blue Scolofi - 3 inches
Orange Leleupi - 3 inches
aulonocara baenschi - 2.5 inches
2 Syn. Petricola - 2-2.5 inches
1 Frontosa, unsure of which - 2.5 inch

My new tank has a DIY foam and concrete background. I did all of the rinsing and the testing suggested it should be fine, but I was nervous about adding my fish that I had grown attached to over the last 8 months or so, so I decided to buy a few new ones to test it out.

Troph Duboisi - 1 inch
a second frontosa at about 2 inch
Venustus at around 2 inches

The Venustus was a last minute decision. I brought up the profiles on my iphone while at the store and I decided that I was okay with its aggression ratings, and I read about it being predatory, but I missed the size that it gets to! Do I need to find another home for the venustus in the long run? What makes me worry is I am adding a few white calvus and Chalinochromis brichardi, and I know they will not grow at the rate of the venustus and I dont want them to get eaten.

As far as the tank goes, everything is great. The fish love all the extra room they have now, and everyone survived the 1.5 hours in the bag between my apartment and my new house.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Your frontosas won't thrive in that set-up, nor will a calvus. Might be okay with the chal., leleupi, and troph., but that's still really iffy...

A 75g won't hold a venestus long-term, regardless of tankmates.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Do you know if your venustus is male or female?

We have had two disappearances in the tank that houses our venustus. A champsochromis about the size of an index finger and a 2-1/2" d. compressiceps. Both were just introduced and lasted less than ten minutes.

I have an idea who the perp is, the male venustus, but he won't admit to it :roll: He is 4 years with the same fish, never bothers any of them and has a girl friend that keeps him busy. We have gotten prolly 6 spawns from them.

Just cannot let him become the dominant fish in that tank and you will be ok. We have a mature fossie in there with ours and they wrassel all day so that pretty much keeps him in place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm open to suggestions. I am partial to my tangs.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
If Tangs are #1 maybe a calvus or tropheus species tank. Frontosa are better in a 72" tank.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping for a more diverse stocking list. I will move that topic over to the tang forum. As for the venustus, I will find a new home as soon as I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts