Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 19 red zebra fry. they are about 3 weeks old. right now i have them in a floating breeder container but i do have an empty 10 gallon. how should i set up the 10 gallon for the fry? if i put water from my main tank in, and maybe some substrate as well, is that sufficient to put the fry in right away? im just not sure about the cycling part. thanks

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can get a sponge filter and set it up in your established tank and run it till it cycles. Then transfer the fry with the sponge filter. You can also get a HOB and get a sponge to go over the intake so it doesn't suck up fry. You would also have to run the HOB on the established tank to cycle it. If you have some media from your established tank I would put it in new HOB and run it to get a jump start.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you get a new HOB, you can take a small bit of sponge(not all of it) from the main tank and put it in the new HOB on the fry tank. The fry won't create a huge bioload on the filter, just do a good sized water change every 2 days or so to get rid of the waste. Take the new sponge from the HOB and put it in the filter on your main tank. Bacteria can regenerate fairly quick, so it won't take long for them to repopulate the new sponge. Using water from the main tank isn't going to add anything to the new tank. I also like to use bare bottom tanks for fry. Much easier to keep clean. Just keep a few hiding places, like some rock or PVC caves so they have places to hide.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
What do you have in the existing filter on your main tank, as far as biological filtration is concerned? What ever you have(sponge, ceramic, etc.),you can steal a bit to put in the filter on the fry tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I set up my hospital/fry tank I took the matting off one of my filter cartges and placed it in the filter of the 10 Gallon tank. I used a HOB and new filter and just crammed the matting in front of the new cart.

Test the water to make sure that it's working.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How long would a HOB filter take to seed as an addition on an established tank to use in a fry tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I usually allow two weeks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Flippercon said:
...You can also get a HOB and get a sponge to go over the intake so it doesn't suck up fry. You would also have to run the HOB on the established tank to cycle it. If you have some media from your established tank I would put it in new HOB and run it to get a jump start.
+1 :thumb:
And I just dropped a stem of Wisteria in my fry tank. If it lives, that will help keep the ammonia/nitrates down in addition to the water changes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wisteria. Good call. I had to look it up on google :). But now I get it.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I think wisteria will do a good job with the nitrates, but the ammonia?

·
Registered
299 Posts
car0linab0y said:
DJRansome said:
I think wisteria will do a good job with the nitrates, but the ammonia?
From my research on planted tanks, it's easier for plants to absorb ammonia than it is nitrate.
Wisteria is the first plant I put in any new tank, it's a nutrient hog. I have never lost a fish during cycling since adding it to a cycling tank. I've read plants prefer to obtain their nitrogen in the ammonium form, but have no idea what the %^&* that means...my eyes glaze over with more info. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to elaborate.

·
Registered
299 Posts
natedgg said:
Wisteria. Good call. I had to look it up on google :). But now I get it.
I just wanted to add when looking for Wisteria it has two forms. If your buying it from a big box store, it will look different as they grow it "emersed"...emersed Wisteria has large broad leaves. After it's submersed in the tank the leaves will take on a "feathery" appearance. Just FYI....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts