Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in learning how to run multiple air hoses to say like 10 or 20 tanks? Maybe 10 gallons and 20 gallons tanks. I want to just use 1 pump. What reliable pump could do this as well? I would use sponge filters. ANy links or info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'll toss some pics out to you.

Central air pump showing hookup.

PVC manifold with air valves and diffuser and valve.

Two manifolds connected via flex hose.

Closeup.

PVC supplying the manifolds.

Another view.

I like the piston air pumps. You can get all this at Jehmco. I'm sure there are other sources as well. Oversize the pump. If they say it'll do 30-40, figure the low end. Deeper tanks require more power to drive the filters. Don't skimp. You can buy the valves separately and drill and tap pvc yourself, but I was in too much of a hurry for that.

HTH

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ty FLip!!

Prov, I really like your setup! Those Linear piston pumps seem like the way to go. Im assuming you have LPH45? How many outlets are you running? I seen on one of your manifolds you had a few empty valves. So you can shut each 1 off? The bleed valve is that used to let out excess air?
Do you use air diffusers on your sponges (airstones)? I seen you connected 2 manifolds together with flex tubing. Could you connect them with pvc if you wanted? Instead of pre made manifolds, could you run pvc the length of fishroom and tap into it as you go by tank? If so would that long length mess with your air pressure? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to know what im getting myself into. My next inquiries will be how to heat so many tanks efficiently and water changes.

TY SO much 8)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Those Linear piston pumps seem like the way to go.
I like them because they seem to be pretty maintenance free. After battling with replacing diaphragms on the smaller ones, I didn't want to deal with that again.

Im assuming you have LPH45?
I believe that's what it is. I should have bumped up to the next one. I have about 30 or so and I really wish I had more power. I have to set some up on rocks in the deeper tanks. The air valve for the diffuser is there to bleed off excess, but there is no excess, so it stays closed.

Do you use air diffusers on your sponges (airstones)?
No, no need. Just something else to maintain. The sponges I've seen aren't designed to work with air stones.

I seen you connected 2 manifolds together with flex tubing. Could you connect them with pvc if you wanted?
Yes, but this is what they sent to me, so used it. Either will work fine.

Instead of pre made manifolds, could you run pvc the length of fishroom and tap into it as you go by tank?
Yes, I was just lazy and it was easier for me to spend the extra dollars to have it already done.

If so would that long length mess with your air pressure?
No, the pressure would build the same, just might take a minute longer after first starting it up.

I seen on one of your manifolds you had a few empty valves. So you can shut each 1 off?
You can operate each individually, and adjust them as needed, yes. The manifolds come with a certain number and you may not use them all. If installing your own valves, I'd go with more than you need and just shut off the ones you aren't using. You don't want to have to drill and tap into it later. Valves are cheap.

The bleed valve is that used to let out excess air?
Yes, and the diffuser quiets it. If you don't bleed off excess, the back pressure could damage the pump from what I understand.

Lastly, go with their rating and bump up one. For instance, if you've got 30, go with the one rated to handle more, like the LPH60 @ 40-55. You'll be happy you spent the few extra dollars. I'm going to add a rack near future and upgrade mine and oversize.

HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.