Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may know I'm big on flowerhorns,but I've only had one. He's one awesome dude/fish lol,he is probably about 4-5years old. Noticed today his back half is turning black. I'm just wondering if any experts could tell me average life span,and what they think it may be?,had him since he was 1" long.All fish are fine and maybe he is to,I 'm just not sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Large Central American cichlids can live for 10 or more years...and since that's most of what goes into a flowerhorn, consider it about the same.

I'm wondering if maybe he has some Texas cichlid in him...they have a neat breeding colour that basically turns the front half of the fish white-ish, and the back half black-ish.

·
Registered
204 Posts
my dad has one an d he's about 11 years old but i think age is getting to him now, he's very lazy now =)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may be on to something sinister,he is really trying to mate with his girl but two years and a no go. The last week or so a bit more aggressive. I'll let you know if or when his color changes back, thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
SinisterKisses said:
Large Central American cichlids can live for 10 or more years...and since that's most of what goes into a flowerhorn, consider it about the same.
Small ones can live over 10 years too. I had a male con that lived to 15.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Well yes...but in the case of a flowerhorn, which is the fish in question, there aren't many small species in the mix so I was pointing out the lifespan of relevant species ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
phishes said:
SinisterKisses said:
Small ones can live over 10 years too. I had a male con that lived to 15.
Similar story with a con living a loooooong life. Picked up three males from a buddy back in either 3rd or 4th grade. Hannibal, the longest living one, passed either late last year, or earlier this year. (I was in 3+4th grade 1993 and 1994.) I think he still would be around if he didnt eat a stone....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts