Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im hoping to start breeding my kenyi just cause i want to start with common and easy fish...i have 1 male with 2 females in a malawi tank

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I no my fish arent big enought for spawning but i wana know what kind of things i need in my tank to get them to spawn... rocks, plants, etc... oh and when at my LFS how do i sex them.. i want a couple more orange zebra's and a couple yellow labs.. the fish i want to spawn are kenyi and if i find more zebras and labs i wana spawn them too

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you have a big enough tank, add plenty of rocks to form caves, do regular water changes to keep the water quality high and thus your fish will be healthy, feed a good quality food, and whatever species your keeping make sure they are compatible, and will not cross breed, keep them in groups of 1 male to at least 3 females. If you give your fish good care, they will breed.
and one more thing.

Be patient.

Of course look up the article that was suggested, and others can give you advice here as well.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What size tank is this?

Yellow labs and red zebras will hybridize (crossbreed), kenyi will need a 75G tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the tank i have is a 50 gallon... i no i should have a bigger tank but when i did get my kenyi's i dident no much about cichlid keeping and at my LFS they dont let you return fish after 30 days. [there still big babys... bout 2 and a half inches] . my tank gets plenty of maintanance and is over filtered.. plus theres tones of caves and rocks to hide in. :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Is it 36 inches long?

The problem is that your fish aren't sexually mature yet, but they will be soon. If the tank is a 3 footer, I'd go ahead and try to find homes for them (you can post an ad in the trading post, although kenyi may be hard to rehome since they are a dime a dozen and all over the place) and find fish more suitable long term for your tank size.

Some of the dwarf mbuna will work, as will the Yellow labs, but red zebras will be a problem in that tank size, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts