Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine are constantly hungry... I've been following the rule of only giving them what they can clean up in 20-30 seconds which really doesn't seem like much for 21 fish. I feed them 3 times a day.

Since they are growing juveniles do they require more food than an adult would?

Also I know a varied diet is important, right now I just give them algae flakes (a premiuim flake the breeder uses) it is supposed to be 100% nutritional for them. Should I give them some live brine shrimp once in a while or something? I was going to give them some romaine lettuce but I read that you shouldn't give that to young mbunas?

·
Registered
509 Posts
They don't need much food. Their stomachs are the size of one of their eyes.

If you have mbuna I'd stay away from brine shrimp, blood worms, etc.

I vary my feedings with a spirulina flake and a sprirulina/krill pellet. I feed twice a day. Pellets in the morning and flake at night.

For growing mbuna look for a food that has about 10% fat and protein from both krill and algae.

This is a great read. I hear their food is pretty good too.
http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/i ... wtopic=328

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feed once a day and feed a mix of spirulina and Xtreme cichlid pellets.

My malawis get what they eat in 2 minutes, while my tropheus get what they eat in about 30 seconds. When I'm confident they are all healthy I'll feed them what they'll consume in a minute.

I'd stay away from brine shrimp, but hear some people feed it for bigger broods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fish are beggars..

They school up when I walk to the aquarium and will follow my hand from one end to the other lol.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
3x a day in very small amounts. Food is gone in under 30 secs. I feed dainichi (spelling) color fx pellets and spirulina flakes. Frozen brine or mysis shimp may once a week. I have gaps and peacocks. For my 55 mbuna tank I feed spirulina flakes and occasional frozen peas that I blanch, remove the shell, cut up and serve.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mine too...they know when it's me at the tank too.
mine do too (the tank is at my office) but my coworkers don't believe me! glad i'm not crazy :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.