Once a week1015.38%
Once every 2 weeks1320.00%
Once a month2944.62%
When the water flow slows to a trickle1320.00%

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Howdy stranger,

In all my AC's I presently keep two sponges per filter. I prefer to rinse one sponge per week in aquarium water then rotate sponge rinsing the following week... :wink:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have one AC 300.
I have one sponge, one bag of bio-max and filter floss.

I rinsed the sponge almost once a month only....
so far so good, maybe i have 3 other filters running..

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have 1 sponge followed by a layer of course floss,2 layers of fine floss and topped with a bio bag with lava rock. The sponge gets a complete cleaning under a running tap once every three months. The floss gets the same cleaning weekly. The rock will get tossed and replaced when it has been used up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have 2 AC500's on a 180 with the sponge that came with it and a bag of Oyster shell on top for weight and ph media, I do a water change about once a month and clean/rinse one of the filters in tap water and just alternate which filter do the rinseing on.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd like to say once a month, RD, but it's more usually when I notice the media basket start to rise up a bit, due to the sponge (at the bottom) being nearly impervious to water flow from the gunk build-up at the bottom. So it's probably more like once every two months. (Two AC500/110s on my 75g and two AC300/70s on my 20g.)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I run 2 ACs on each of my larger tanks. So I do one AC one week, then the other the next week, then skip 2 weeks unless the water flow slows or media basket rises. I use filter floss between 1 full size sponge and 1/2 sponge. Works great!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have 4 AC300 running on a 170 gallon tank, all double-sponged.

I clean all units on a weekly basis.

Great filters, but require too much maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts