Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 yellow labs (about 2") and 15 dems (about 1") I got them on Sat. Sat. I didn't feed, Sunday night I gave them a pinch and today I figured I'd start their regular feeding.

I don't want to over feed and have them bloat, but how do I know I am giving them enough?

Right now I give them a pinch which has about 20 pellets in it. When that is gone I give them another and when that is gone I give them another. (3 pinches) They look like they would eat more, but usually I like to keep my fish a little hungry.

Will that be okay to do 3 x a day? More or less :-? How do i know they are getting enough?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am wondering this myself. Everyone seems to say to feed them what they can eat in about a minute.

I have been feeding 2 times a day morning and evening but not as much. Usually about what they can consume in like 30 seconds each time, but that seems like a alot of food to me. I am thinking that I am just being paranoid about the whole bloat thing myself.

Those buggers can really eat a lot in 30 seconds! :eek: But anyhow been doing this for about 3 months now and havent had any issues as of yet, but mine are also juveniles like yours, so once they are adults I plan only feeding once a day and starting the no-food sundays to purge them since they will no longer be growing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
I am wondering this myself. Everyone seems to say to feed them what they can eat in about a minute.

I have been feeding 2 times a day morning and evening but not as much. Usually about what they can consume in like 30 seconds each time, but that seems like a alot of food to me. I am thinking that I am just being paranoid about the whole bloat thing myself.

Those buggers can really eat a lot in 30 seconds! :eek: But anyhow been doing this for about 3 months now and havent had any issues as of yet, but mine are also juveniles like yours, so once they are adults I plan only feeding once a day and starting the no-food sundays to purge them since they will no longer be growing.
ah, I have heard of people not feeding for a day and was going to ask about it. So it is for older fish, not jueniles?

I haven't exactly timed my feedings. I will tonight and see how long it takes them to eat as much as I am giving them. They sure do like to eat. My clown fish is the same way. I only feed him 1x a day.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Im not 100% on the fasting of only adults tho. Just saying that is what I have been doing and it seems to be working so far.

I hope more people chime in and verify or correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways I take it your liking them so far? I hope you are! Just wait till they start breeding, once they start they just keep going, and going, and going. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I feed once a day, in the morning, what they finish in 30 secs and very little food actually hits the sand. Sometimes I skip a day, but it's usually because I forget ;)
It's very easy to overfeed, they will always act like they're starving. If they don't, that's cause for concern, but that's another story.
Keep in mind, females go for nearly a month without eating, don't be too concerned with them getting enough food, be more concerned with them getting too much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for asking this...I've been wondering about it too (mine are also juvies). I tried the "what they can eat in 30 seconds 3 times a day" and they got FAT, not bloated...but chunky. So I went to "what they can eat in 10 seconds 2 times a day" with a few pleco tablets in between (since it takes them forever to eat them). BUT they were still fat and a few of my mbuna started acting "bloaty" (but still hungry)...however, I also did a classic newbie mistake mixing haps, mbuna and peacocks. So now half the mbuna have been pulled to a new tank, the rest will be pulled after a few more days (new tanks make me so NERVOUS!)

Now the main tank gets 5 seconds worth once or twice a day, the mbuna get a tiny pinch and unless I see them all shaping up soon, I'll cut it again. There's going to be no more floating about, watching tv, and stuffing their little fish faces in this house!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Im not 100% on the fasting of only adults tho. Just saying that is what I have been doing and it seems to be working so far.

I hope more people chime in and verify or correct me if I am wrong.

Anyways I take it your liking them so far? I hope you are! Just wait till they start breeding, once they start they just keep going, and going, and going. :thumb:
o.kay, and yes I am loving them!! So are my daycare kids! They call them angry fish. :roll: I was explaining they were "agressive" and the 4 yr old looked puzzled so I said they were kinda angry and that's what stuck.

I can't wait for them to breed, but then I have to find room for a grow out tank. :D I think they are already showing signs of breeding, but they seem too small. One fish will puff out all it's fins and it has amazing color, almost looks like it is strutting. Then 3 or 4 littler fish, a bit paler in color, swim over and seem to investigate. Not sure, but it looks like a male trying to attract a female.

From the looks of it, if I am correct and that is what's going on, it looks like I have 3 males. One pretty much stays to the left, one in the center and one to the right. And they each seem to have their own little herrum of 4 females. I could be crazy, but it looks that way to me.

Not that I stare all day at my tank or anything :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTZ said:
I feed once a day, in the morning, what they finish in 30 secs and very little food actually hits the sand. Sometimes I skip a day, but it's usually because I forget ;)
It's very easy to overfeed, they will always act like they're starving. If they don't, that's cause for concern, but that's another story.
Keep in mind, females go for nearly a month without eating, don't be too concerned with them getting enough food, be more concerned with them getting too much.
Holy cow! a whole month, I couldn't last a day without eating. My hens do that when they are setting on eggs. They don't get off the eggs till they hatch, it takes about 21 days.

That's good to know info!! Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PortiaD said:
Thanks for asking this...I've been wondering about it too (mine are also juvies). I tried the "what they can eat in 30 seconds 3 times a day" and they got FAT, not bloated...but chunky. So I went to "what they can eat in 10 seconds 2 times a day" with a few pleco tablets in between (since it takes them forever to eat them). BUT they were still fat and a few of my mbuna started acting "bloaty" (but still hungry)...however, I also did a classic newbie mistake mixing haps, mbuna and peacocks. So now half the mbuna have been pulled to a new tank, the rest will be pulled after a few more days (new tanks make me so NERVOUS!)

Now the main tank gets 5 seconds worth once or twice a day, the mbuna get a tiny pinch and unless I see them all shaping up soon, I'll cut it again. There's going to be no more floating about, watching tv, and stuffing their little fish faces in this house!!
I guess I'll just watch them and do what you did, alter it as I need to. If I see they are getting fat, I will cut it back, and I guess if they are growing and look good, they are getting enough. :)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
There are two things going on here- you are still acclimating these fish and they are still recovering from transport. So- take it easy on the food for a week or so, then feed them a bit more. Once they are clearly beyond the danger period (2-3 weeks) then I'd start to focus on getting them growing out.

30 seconds twice a day sounds good for growth, and a bit much for adults.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
triscuit said:
There are two things going on here- you are still acclimating these fish and they are still recovering from transport. So- take it easy on the food for a week or so, then feed them a bit more. Once they are clearly beyond the danger period (2-3 weeks) then I'd start to focus on getting them growing out.

Okay, thanks. :)

30 seconds twice a day sounds good for growth, and a bit much for adults.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts