Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local fish store is going to purchase 10 of my Cynotilipia Afra Chimate "Dwarf" Species. How much should I charge them?

Started with Four (1m/3f). Got excited when mom held the first time, and took her out of the tank and let her spit naturally. Once the babies were out, and a couple of weeks old...I took them to the store and they wouldn't buy them because they didn't have a tank open. I decided to let the strong survive, and put them back in the big boy tank. I have wonderful rock work, so they all had places to hide and ALL survived. Rinse and Repeat...I did it again shortly thereafter. So now I have close to 30 or so in my tank that I need to get out, or...

Should I remove all four adults with the 10 (1+ inches each) babies? remove all babies and keep adults? I'm thinking If i remove all the adults and allow 20 babies to grow...I could find 1 STUNNING Male in the batch. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Depends what they sell them for at your store.
stores in my area will usually sell 1inch mbuna for 3/$10.

They usually like to at least double the profit.
Remember they are not really doubling the profit as they have overhead

About a buck each is about what they will offer you
but it may be 50cents each, may be 1.50.

Usually won't make much selling to a LFS.
I only sell to them when i'm getting overloaded and can't move them all with craigslist.

But some people don't like fish freaks coming to there house, so its better for them to sell for less to a LFS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I told them I wanted two bucks each and they accepted. Free Fish Food!

As for the other question... if you had 4 adults and over 30 babies...would you...

1. rid all the babies, or at least most of them?
2. rid the four adults, and allowing the babies to grow, with possibly finding a gorgeous male in the large batch?
3. Keep the parents, rid the two other adults and most of the babies?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
They're not pairing, so definitely not #3. They're harem breeders. I'd keep ~8-10 of the fry (the most promising looking, so far) and sell the rest. Up your colony to 2m/7-8f.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
It depends on the tank size. I'd keep the 1m, 3f, because it's working....and because if you grow them out, that's what you would be aiming for ratio wise. If you have a large tank and want to up the total fish count, I'd keep a few babies(# depends on tank size) to grow out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts