Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I found some rocks, most are just little 10-15 pound rocks, but I found 2 that are huge. They are easily a hundred pounds, probably more like 2 hundred. Will they be fine in a tank? Or are they too heavy for the glass? Im going to be keeping some haps/peacocks with mbuna, so about half of the tank is going to be rocky, the other half will be open sand.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
As long as they are placed in the tank so that they will not fall over, they're not too heavy.

Watch this video.

kevin

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Agree not too heavy for the glass. But what about being too heavy for you to lift in/out of the tank periodically? I find myself doing it at least once a year, not for cleaning, but to catch a sick fish or whatever.

I find 40 pounds is about the right weight for me to handle on a step stool reaching down into the tank lifting slippery objects.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you can get them into the tank without dropping them or throwing your back out you should be ok. Glass can hold alot of weight, as the previous video shows, however its the impact if you drop something that large even an inch would be my concern.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't put the larger one in it, due to the fact I might drop it, so I put in the 100/150 pound one in and all went good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts