Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Basicly the rule i go by is that no food hits the bottom. I feed a pinch or two (1mm NLS using thumb and first two fingers)and wait a moment. If none hits the bottom, I throw in another pinch. Pretty soon everybody has a full mouth and the first few pellets make it to the bottom. I stop there. That way everybody gets some, but nobody gets enough time to chew and swallow and try to get more. I also feed at both ends of my tank. First I put food on the right side and all the aggressive eaters start to chow down. Then I toss a pinch over to the opposite end where the more timid eaters have learned to gather. Some of the little guys just go over to the left and wait. With NLS (and the other top quality foods) being such concentrated nutrition, each fish will get full nutrition with only a couple of pellets. Their eyes are much bigger than their stomachs. Too much food just makes it move faster through their gut and out the other end.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Laurel said:
I put 2 big pinches in my tank, this rounds out to about 35 seconds of feeding time, but unlike MalawiLover, I make sure as much as possible hits the bottom. This lets the fry that hide in the rocks to come out and get some and not be bothered by the big fish, and it spreads along the entire length of my tank, so it takes my big fish longer to get any and the smaller ones can avoid the bigger ones.
Since I don't keep fry in the tank with adults, i haven't had to worry about them. I do have bottom feeders in most og my tanks (a couple of BN plecs and a couple of CAEs). I toss in algae rounds about an hour after the lights go out.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Dewdrop said:
I break 2 wafers in half so there are 4 pieces and feed this twice a day. I really think my plecos sleep at night because they are active all day.
How do you keep the piggy mbuna from eating the waifers? I tried it that way and the mbuna finished it off way befoe the plecs can even find it (not like they could compete with the mbuna for it even if they did)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.