Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i'm over feeding my fish but i am not sure how much to give them. i feed the the small NLS pellets. i have about 15 fish in my tank. about how much should i feed, maybe in teaspoons? i know some people say feed as much as they can eat in 45 seconds but some of my fish are faster more aggressive eaters than others so if i feed to little the shyer won't get any but i think i am feeding to much cuz there is a lot left on the bottom after and i don't want my fish to get sick from over eating....what should i do?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh! knowing the size of the fish might help...my fish very in size from 2-6" (the largest is my rainbow shark) most of them are still young and in the 3" range...any advice?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Basicly the rule i go by is that no food hits the bottom. I feed a pinch or two (1mm NLS using thumb and first two fingers)and wait a moment. If none hits the bottom, I throw in another pinch. Pretty soon everybody has a full mouth and the first few pellets make it to the bottom. I stop there. That way everybody gets some, but nobody gets enough time to chew and swallow and try to get more. I also feed at both ends of my tank. First I put food on the right side and all the aggressive eaters start to chow down. Then I toss a pinch over to the opposite end where the more timid eaters have learned to gather. Some of the little guys just go over to the left and wait. With NLS (and the other top quality foods) being such concentrated nutrition, each fish will get full nutrition with only a couple of pellets. Their eyes are much bigger than their stomachs. Too much food just makes it move faster through their gut and out the other end.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I put 2 big pinches in my tank, this rounds out to about 35 seconds of feeding time, but unlike MalawiLover, I make sure as much as possible hits the bottom. This lets the fry that hide in the rocks to come out and get some and not be bothered by the big fish, and it spreads along the entire length of my tank, so it takes my big fish longer to get any and the smaller ones can avoid the bigger ones.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Laurel said:
I put 2 big pinches in my tank, this rounds out to about 35 seconds of feeding time, but unlike MalawiLover, I make sure as much as possible hits the bottom. This lets the fry that hide in the rocks to come out and get some and not be bothered by the big fish, and it spreads along the entire length of my tank, so it takes my big fish longer to get any and the smaller ones can avoid the bigger ones.
Since I don't keep fry in the tank with adults, i haven't had to worry about them. I do have bottom feeders in most og my tanks (a couple of BN plecs and a couple of CAEs). I toss in algae rounds about an hour after the lights go out.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I feed NLS 1mm sinking pellets and feed more like Malawilover only I don't give such a big pinch (just use my thumb and forefinger plus I have small fingers too).

I put a pinch at each end of the tank and watch for pellets hitting the bottom (I don't like this to happen and it doesn't much). Depending on how well they are eating determins how many pinches I give. I take some time and give them time to chew between pinches once a day. They get smaller feedings a couple more times a day.

I use the NLS algea wafers for our Leporinus and plecos (I have 2 of each). I break 2 wafers in half so there are 4 pieces and feed this twice a day. I really think my plecos sleep at night because they are active all day.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Dewdrop said:
I break 2 wafers in half so there are 4 pieces and feed this twice a day. I really think my plecos sleep at night because they are active all day.
How do you keep the piggy mbuna from eating the waifers? I tried it that way and the mbuna finished it off way befoe the plecs can even find it (not like they could compete with the mbuna for it even if they did)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I put the wafers in first. The mbuna nibble at it as it's falling down but as soon as they see their pellets coming they leave the wafers alone. Even if the plecos and leporinus don't take them right away, the mbuna don't bother them once they hit the bottom. I guess they have their tummies full of pellets by then :? .

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Man, my mbuna are pigs. No matter what I feed the plecos, the mbuna go for them. If I ever feed the plecos, I just put in big chunks of boiled zucchini or whatever so the plecos and munch on them after the mbuna get sick of working for their food.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
When I put in zucchini or other veggies (something I haven't done for a while), I put in 2-3 pieces because I usually have 1 or 2 mbuna that think they are the king of the hill and will try to keep the piece for themselves (even if they don't want to eat it, they don't want anybody else to have it). It's more of a power thing than an ravenous appetite.

I have some species that can be nasty so I've done everything I can think of to keep aggression down. I've overstocked and keep them well fed. I've been told that overfeeding isn't good for their health but neither is fighting lol. I prefer to think of it as well fed instead of overfed and I really do think there is a difference. I usually feed 3 times a day. One larger feed and a couple small ones. I think they know they won't go hungry so they don't act like such pigs...well, not to much anyway, they are still mbuna after all lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine are pigs! but the past few days i have tried feeding on both sides of the tank to spread out the food and that does seem to have helped

·
Registered
232 Posts
I feed mine a pretty healthy amount...they eat for about a min...maybe a bit longer...but only once a day...maybe a small snack in the morning...plenty hits the bottom for the cat to get...*** been feeding them the same for about 6 months now with no issues. Everyone gets fed....everyone is happy...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
That's good to hear TailorO. I agree with you in that just giving them what they can eat in so many seconds or minutes is hard to do and it's also hard to know if they are all getting some.

The one big feeding I do a day (I do 2 more small feeds usually) takes several minutes. I put a pinch on each side of the tank and the bigger piggies get the first bites so I put another pinch in each side pretty quick so the others can get a bite while the first ones are chewing. Then I wait a little and give them time to chew & swallow before putting more in.

I don't want food laying on the bottom so I watch pretty close as they eat and adjust the pinches accordingly. It does take more time this way but I'm more satisfied that they are all getting some and not much is being waisted.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the advice. all of my fish seem happy and healthy...just don't want to end up with them being too fat :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts