Cichlid Fish Forum banner

How many red zebras and yellow labs can I put in a 20 long?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  stuckinthemiddle 
#1 ·
How many red zebras and yellow labs can I put in a 20 long?

I currently have 2 red zebras and 3 yellow labs in my 55, but am thinking about moving them to my 20 long. Is this a bad idea? If not, could I add more? I have read that its ok to moderately overcrowd them to keep aggression down.

Thanks all

#3 ·
Yes, it is ok to overcrowd cichlids in order to keep aggression down, but you must fulfill some conditions like minimum tank length.

Red zebras and yellow labs are large species and it is not recommendable to put them into tank this small.
You can put them in there, no one can tell you not to do it but you must be aware that you could have problems like aggression and problems with their growth.

On the other hand if they are juveniles you can put them in there as a temporary solution but not as a permanent one.

#4 ·
Are they the only fish in the 55G?

I agree that these species need to be kept in larger groups, but you should also be aware of the tendency to crossbreed between these two species. I would not distribute fry from either group if you keep them together.

Neither species are suitable for the 20G tank, as stated above.

Kim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.